Remember the Dive Guard posting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"Once it figures out your breathing pattern if it notices after 40 seconds that something is wrong because you're breathing fast"

Jesus this sounds terrible.
Fighting current to get back to the boat? Enjoy that swim from the surface.

Looks like a law suit waiting to happen. Everything malfunctions especially new products at one time or another. The first diver that is sent to the surface involuntarily...

"Once it figures out your breathing pattern if it notices after 40 seconds that something is wrong because you're breathing fast"

Jesus this sounds terrible.
Fighting current to get back to the boat? Enjoy that swim from the surface.

This is NOT what was said. 40 seconds and an audible and visual alarm. And there is an override. Only later does it inflate the BC. However, it's still not necessarily something I'll get and agree that malfunctions that shoot one to the surface won't be fun. Though, one could probably dump air through the manual valves on the BC to mitigate the malfunction.

Carl

Last edited:
I went and read the thread referenced when this was first shown at DEMA.... All I can do is my best George Takei......

Oh My.jpg

Steve

This is NOT what was said. 40 seconds and an audible and visual alarm. And there is an override. Only later does it inflate the BC. However, it's still not necessarily something I'll get and agree that malfunctions that shoot one to the surface won't be fun. Though, one could probably dump air through the manual valves on the BC to mitigate the malfunction.

Carl
It's actually a direct quote. Cut short, sure, but a direct quote.

actually, left out either.

At any rate, this seems like a solution for a problem that is miniscule. Surely the failure rate of the units will cause more issues than the lives it saves.

Do you know why they don't do spin training to get your private pilot license? The training killed way more pilots than the instances of inadvertent spins. Will this device kill or maim more divers than it saves? I want to be 100% sure that it can't inflate accidentally. When that criteria is met I might consider it.

Wow, you guys are too much! If the unit malfunctions, and starts inflating your BCD, there is an override. If the override malfunctions, you can pull off the LPI hose, a skill that you learned in confined water during your OW class. You do remember how to do that, don't you? So you have three levels of redundancy...not bad. Where is the level of redundancy if you stop breathing? Your buddy that has his back turned and is 30 feet away taking pictures? Right.

Hey, I don't want a DiverGuard either, but at least denigrate it with credible reasons.

How did the same country that gave us the simple, effective, AK47 of the sub-gun world (aka the Uzi) create this piece of :censored:?

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2014 at 04:38 PM ----------

If the unit malfunctions, and starts inflating your BCD, there is an override. If the override malfunctions, you can pull off the LPI hose, a skill that you learned in confined water during your OW class. You do remember how to do that, don't you?

To be clear: this thing is a great cost/benefit solution, but the occasional auto-inflating Halcyon SS LPI is an insane death trap?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom