How much wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been very lucky. Been diving since 1978, but almost all in warm tropical water. So I've not worn heavy wetsuits; I have a 3/2 full-out and a 3mm shorty I use in warmer water. But a lot of cool places to dive are, well, cool! So if I'm off to some really fun place a long way from home, I want to have the proper wetsuit.

Any guidelines or rules of thumb on what type and thickness of wetsuit for different temp and conditions?

Everyone is different regarding cold. My list is:

75 (F) + --body suit for protection only.
65+ -- shorty.
60-65 -- top only to my farmer john 7 mil (don't have a 5 mil or 3 mil).
below 60 -- full farmer john. 5 finger gloves.
40-50 -- full farmer john--2 dives in a day only. 3 finger mitts.
32-40 -- full farmer john -- 3 fingered mitts, one 20 min. dive only.
Don't own a drysuit. I do well with cold.

Renting stuff so you can see where you stand may be a good idea.

Steve, I live in So California but when I visit Florida or the Caribbean I use the same wetsuits you mention in your post (a 3/2 full or a 3 short). At home I use a 7mm for temps ranging from 50 to 65 through the year, with hood at the colder end and without in the warmer water.

Above 26C -> Boardshorts/1mm rashguard
Below 26C -> Drysuit

Keeps it simple :)

Living in Indiana it's mostly quarry or old strip pit diving. Places we go to above thermal is 80's and below is mid 40's. I have full 5mm with 5mm hood and gloves. If I stay below thermal to long I'll get cold. Wife was full 7mm with 5mm hood and gloves and she doesn't get as chilled as me. I used my 5mm in Key Largo in May and Pensacola this month and I was fine. I didn't over heat.

Many people seem to tolerate cold better than I do, with some overlap:

High 70s and up: 3 mm +/- hooded vest
High 60s to high 70s: 5 mm +/- hooded vest
50-high 60s, 7 mm +/- hooded vest

I always have a hooded vest with me in case I get cold, especially 3rd or 4th dive of the day, or the water is colder than expected, works well for me
I don't dive dry, yet, high 40s is pretty cold though I've done a few dives with the 7 mm and hooded vest

I always wear a full suit for protection against jellies, etc. No shorties for me, ever.

80+ -- 3/2 full suit
78-80 -- 3/2 full suit plus 3 mm vest or Lavacore vest underneath
75-78 -- 5 mm full suit
72-75 -- 5 mm full suit plus hood and gloves
70-72 -- 5 mm full suit plus 3 mm vest underneath plus hood and gloves
65-70 -- I've only dived water in the 60s a few times (in Southern California), in a rented 7 mm, and I tend to avoid water this cool.

If there's ever something I really really want to see in water below the low 60s, I'll get a drysuit.

everyone is dramatically different in their needs. I know people who wear 7 mm suits in Cozumel when others have no suits or simply skins. Hearing what other people wear will not help that much.

I suggest you describe how you feel in what temperatures of water you have experienced. We can then use you and your needs by your experiences more than just ours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom