I don't get side mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been reading about side mount as the newest biggest thing since sliced bread, but I personally don't get why it has become so popular. Is it just because it's something new?
I'm not bagging on it, I just don't understand it.
I can see the use for caving since it gives more room above you so you don't scrape tanks on the ceiling, but just for everyday open water diving I'm failing to see the appeal.
It would seem to me that having tanks to your sides would seriously get in the way. I remember even having a slung 40 was annoying.
I haven't seen anybody where I dive using a sidemount rig, is it an east coast and midwest thing?
What is the advantage in open water besides having access to valves within easy reach?
What about walking or hiking with them?
Is the whole harness system more or less complicated that a regular BP/W?
Is there such a thing as just having one on one side?
Or is there a center slung belly tank for singles.

Somebody please explain it to me.

Just asking questions.

Because if you don't have enough diving nearby to justify owning tanks you can sidemount rental 80s like the cool kids without getting raked over the coals like I do for independent doubles.

I hear you. I really don't get, in particular, the craze over OW sidemount. And evenmore, staged decompression on sidemount is like the worst idea ever. But im old school, what can I say. Ive tried it in many ways, with a Nomad JT, with the lil diverite LT, I own a Razor 2, and still, I just don't get it. But then I like trying everything and making sure I can then say with certainty ... it is not my thing. I was hoping the same happened with my rebreather; instead, Im in love with it :)

Is it just because it's something new?

It's not that new. However, the growing application for open-water and/or recreational diving is.

just for everyday open water diving I'm failing to see the appeal.

Redundant and/or greater gas supplies carried in a streamlined, stable and flexible manner. Reduces weight carried out of the water, so favored by some who struggle to carry doubles etc. Enables use of doubles when walking in to any dive shop, anywhere in the world, without carrying heavy or bulky equipment.

It would seem to me that having tanks to your sides would seriously get in the way. I remember even having a slung 40 was annoying.

Sidemount isn't slinging. Properly configured, the tanks are streamlined beneath the armpits and you barely notice them. I find it less cumbersome and a more 'free' sensation than single-tank backmount (let alone backmount doubles).

I haven't seen anybody where I dive using a sidemount rig, is it an east coast and midwest thing?

It's quite popular around Asia and growing in popularity in Europe. Access to legitimate sidemount instructors is probably the limiting factor on

What is the advantage in open water besides having access to valves within easy reach?

See my list - Sidemount Diving Course Notes (para 2)

What about walking or hiking with them?

More difficult if you insist on walking/hiking with the cylinders attached. Much easier if you can walk the cylinders unattached, or shuttle them. Sidemount is proving popular in remote cave expeditions, because porters can transport single cylinders much easier than banded doubles etc..

Is the whole harness system more or less complicated that a regular BP/W?

There are varied harness styles. Generally, the 'minimalist' style (Razor, Stealth etc) take more initial set-up, but like a BP&W remain user-tailored thereafter. Others are more adjustable (i.e. Hollis SMS50), like a jacket BCD.

The only addition, compared to a BP/W is the two bungees..

Most sidemount students (mine certainly) find sidemount quick and easy to adapt to. It's just a few new steps of muscle memory to develop.

Is there such a thing as just having one on one side?

Yes, this is an option taught on some recreational-level sidemount courses.

Or is there a center slung belly tank for singles.

No, sidemount should optimally be rigged to carry cylinders streamlined and trimmed against the side-torso, with the valve sheltered beneath the armpit.

Sidemount-diving-courses-subic-bay-philippines.jpg

... staged decompression on sidemount is like the worst idea ever. But im old school, what can I say. Ive tried it in many ways, with a Nomad JT, with the lil diverite LT, I own a Razor 2, and still, I just don't get it.

I must ask... what particular training/mentoring you've had to apply sidemount to staged deco? I've seen some pretty horrendous approaches by ill/non-trained tech divers trying to use sidemount (badly) and not favoring the system as a result...

I, personally, love it... I very rarely dive back-mount tech nowadays (mostly only for instruction).

Some of my students/ex-students and me, technical diving in sidemount:

10152585_789427474402662_2714933165063743427_n.jpg10153179_789427544402655_2776575440030216588_n.jpg10271516_789427407736002_2828185766329012118_n.jpgsidemount-course-philippines-subic.jpgsublevel-3.jpgtechnical sidemount course philippines.jpg

I have only personally dabbled in side mount, myself. One of the bigger draws I have seen is the ease of taking 1 cylinder at a time to the water & hooking up in the water, thus much reduced weight to carry- very popular for those with bad backs. Side mount actually give you much more freedom of movement than back mounted doubles, & are more streamlined because the cylinders (if properly rigged) staying in the slipstream of the shoulders & arms. Yes, sidemount does let you into lower areas, at the price of the diver being wider. I have dove my SMS100 maybe 3 or 4 times, but I also sidemount my rebreather bailouts for streamlining.

I have seen pictures of side mount gear back in mid 90's so it is certainly NOT new.

Real world, mine anyway, is that unless you enjoy spending a lot of time playing with bungee cord, SM is a PITA to get the set up right and the skills current having dived and trained a lot with people on SM. If you don't dive a lot i would tend to get one set up really right and keep it simple - stick to BM. Lots of instructors will tell you technical diving SM is fine, I have seen experienced divers finishing tech SM courses and wondering was really worth the bother though. Recreational open water sidemount - why? Lots of people dive cave backmount (OC and CCR) My 2 dirhams worth....

Lots of people dive cave backmount (OC and CCR) My 2 dirhams worth....

Maybe, in some cases,... but backmount bailout would not work very well with myCCR, as my diluent, O2 & scrubber canister are all mounted on my back, already. Bailouts must either be slung or sidemounted. Sure there are BOV's,... but then a small 23 cuft diluent bottle will not typically have enough gas to get you out of a cave.

Another point for SM is stability in the water in various positions. In BM once I roll to a certain degree the dubs just want to turtle me, in SM I can roll on my side or upside down and can hold those positions with virtually no effort.
This of course is really useful for photography/videography etc.

Fortunately, for those of you who don't "get" sidemount, there's an easy solution...

... don't use it.

Like every other approach to diving, it comes with advantages and drawbacks. Those have been extensively discussed on various threads ... we even have a forum dedicated specifically to discussing it. Depending on how and where you dive, the advantages may make it worthwhile for you, or the disadvantages may make it not worthwhile. If it works for you, great ... if not, then try something else.

What I don't "get" is why we keep having threads whose only purpose is to criticize how other people choose to dive ... using hot button words like "cool kids" as though it were some kind of insult.

I use sidemount sometimes, backmount other times ... depending on the dive and what I feel like diving on a particular day. I'm not a "cool kid" ... I'm a cranky old man who doesn't feel like having to defend or explain his choices to people who have decided to make different ones. If you don't like it ... don't understand it ... work for or frequent a shop that doesn't sell or promote it ... bully for you. Do what you want, and let other people do likewise. Nobody ever said you have to understand why someone else makes the choices they do.

... and FWIW ... sliced bread ain't all it's cracked up to be either ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom