Leaving pony rigged between dive outings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panama Jones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone leave their pony rigged between dive days or do all of you unrig. I'm wondering if it causes reg or o-ring issues.

When you say rigged I think rigging up the clips for attachment, but reading it looks like you're asking if folks leave their reg hooked up while they're not diving?

I leave mine rigged, but remove my reg set. My regs go in their padded carrying case. Tanks have a bad habit of rolling around in the trunk, and have enough mass that even a minor bump could damage the plastic body of a second stage. I wouldn't want my regulator getting damaged.

my pony stays rigged all the time, as does my main scuba unit. i'm fairly meticulous about kit care, so everything is well rinsed after a dive. of course, regulators are purged. no issues since 2008!

one caveat though, no one apart from me handles my kit, not boat crew, not dive guides, just me.

If you are asking if I leave a 1st Stage connected to a pony -the answer would be no. Separate the tank and the regs after the diving day - not in between dives on the same day -O-ring compression would be an issue eventually. The rigging straps - yes - stay on the pony.

I leave mine assembled, rinse thoroughly with fresh water after every dive day, I will pull the reg and inspect/check the IP every month or so during dive season though.

On a week long dive trip, I leave it completely assembled. That way I know it's ready to go and after each dive I can just soak it all in a tub. I only remove the first stage if the bottle needs topping.

After the last dive of the trip, I give it another good soak then remove the first stage and store both it and the tank for the trip home. Don't mind if it cost me a few extra o-rings a year.

The rigging I inspect each trip but never remove except for repairs or to replace parts.

I'm guessing there's a difference in protocol depending on if the pony uses a yoke or DIN attachment. I'm much more confident leaving the reg attached if it's a DIN.

I take the DIN regs off all my tanks at the end of a dive day.

Back
Top Bottom