Monitor oxygen as nitrogen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polari

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question that came to mind.
Why not use the method monitoring nitrogen for oxygen or vice versa.
We can monitor nitrogen with partial pressure instead depth/time or we can monitor oxygen with time and depth instead pp.
Thoughts? :coffee:

You are going to have to completely re-word your question because I can't make heads or tails of what you are asking.

Maybe a stupid question that came to mind.
Why not use the method monitoring nitrogen for oxygen or vice versa.
We can monitor nitrogen with partial pressure instead depth/time or we can monitor oxygen with time and depth instead pp.
Thoughts? :coffee:

I'm with fire_diver in that I don't understand the question. The effects of both nitrogen and oxygen are a function of "intensity of exposure" (partial pressure/depth) and duration. What are you proposing?

We use a constant partial pressure for oxygen.Usually 1.4 (a limit which i do not find so practical in some cases).
Why not use a constant pp for nitrogen too?
Or the opposite.Why not use oxygen same way as nitrogen?Not have a constant but calculate it based on accumulation.

Is this a translation problem? How on earth do you keep a constant PP for any gas on a dive that doesn't follow a perfect square profile?

We SET a PP of 1.4 O2 to avoid the risk of CNS and toxing out on O2 at depth. 1.6pp O2 is considered the max safe threshold, so most go conservative with 1.4pp.

You can also look at partial pressure of nitrogen as well but it is not going to dictate what depth you will get narced. So it is essentially of no advantage to know.
You also cannot calculate Oxygen loading because it is metabolic. We use it; we convert it to CO2. With our current technology, we can't even grasp an inert gas loading of nitrogen; it's still theory. So Oxygen loading is impossible currently because of the large different range of people's metabolism and change in metabolism based on physical exertion.

We do not use a constant nor dive a constant for partial pressure; we set a limit that's reached at a limit of depth.

@fire
I can blame brain fog.
You can change "constant" word with "limit"

@fire
I can blame brain fog.
You can change "constant" word with "limit"

This is the SCUBA forum, are you asking about rebreathers?

I think I understand.

Nitrogen and Oxygen act differently.

You have a hard limit of 1.4 (or whatever you want) because O2 goes toxic at some point. One starts to see some deaths, and an increasing number with PO2s over 1.6 and a few at 1.6 with activity.

With Nitrogen there is not a hard limit other than the higher the PO2 the quicker you will have to do deco on the way up. More nitrogren may narc you more but it does not put you into convulsions which result in drowning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom