Rescue Diver course... good idea or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freename

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I've been reading a thread somebody started about failing his rescue diver course with a lot of interest... there have been a lot of good comments made (mostly good comments, IMHO) and lots that has made me think.

I am fairly new to scuba... I know I still have a lot of skills to work on (I am nowhere near happy with my buoyancy control, for instance... I'm pretty awful) but I'm making progress. And each time I dive, whether a good or bad experience, I come back with something more to think about. I did my OW and AOW with one LDS... and an EAN course with another. I'm thinking of doing Rescue with a third. There are a couple reasons for this:

1. When I decided to get a c-card, I mentioned it to my then girlfriend. She apparently was trained in Asia (through SSI?), and so we talked about potentially diving together when travelling. But when I started my course, and I started talking to her about some of the more basic things we were learning... I often got blank stares as the response. This... terrified me, because if something were to go wrong... well, this was when I first started considering the course.
  2. In my second OW dive, my partner disappeared. I had the added luck of having my octo start free-flowing (which at that point scared the hell out of me because with everything else on my mind I also managed to forget how to handle it!) so I looked for him as long as I felt safe to do so and I surfaced. And he... kept swimming around on his own until he felt like coming up to join me. But it got me thinking... well, what if I can't trust my partner? I made later dives in the AOW with a great partner who knew what he was doing and didn't try to disappear... but that won't always be the case. This got me thinking that perhaps doing a course like rescue will make me more aware of what could go wrong, and better able to handle situations - if just for myself!

Beyond this, I am pretty unhappy with my first LDS's style of teaching... so I am also looking at this as an opportunity to try someone else out. But in general, I have found that I've been able to pick up a ton of great stuff from everyone (other than the main guys at the first shop...). I view this as another opportunity to expand that exposure.

That said... I really don't care if I even pass the course. As I said, I started this thread after reading another from a guy who failed his. Failure... would not bother me. My motivation is to better understand what can go wrong, how to avoid it, and how to potentially deal with it if it does. I've had my first aid for longer than I can remember - I've never had a major incident that called me to use it, but similarly... I like knowing that I would have an idea of what to do if such a situation arose.

So the big question: is this a dumb motivation for taking the rescue course? Am I going to get the value out of it that I hope to? As I said... I'm not exactly an experienced diver. But right now, I'd rather take the course (and fail) just so that I'm aware of the things that might prevent me from becoming an experienced diver... because for whatever reason I became a dead diver. (That would put a pretty big damper on my mood... ha!)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what feedback I get... (and don't worry - I won't complain about being called stupid, I already know I am! ::wink: )

I have done all of my classes with different dive ops, mainly to get multiple perspectives. I highly recommend it if you aren't using a great op with many different instructors. I have always been under the impression that instead of failing a student it was incumbent on the instructor to work with them to make sure they understood the course material and could perform the skills. It is my opinion that very few students fail. More likely the instructor didn't do their job properly. There are some people that just aren't ever going to be divers, however, that number seems tiny to me. If you aren't comfortable with your present op look for alternatives. Maybe even consider doing the Rescue course on vacation, in warm water.
Good Luck,
RichH

I know the thread you're referring to. But if you haven't already done so, search for older threads about the Rescue Diver course. You will see that just about everyone says it is the best course in the PADI stable (and other agencies no doubt have their equivalents). If you feel comfortable in the water at this point (no need for perfect buoyancy control, just "good enough" will do) then by all means take the Rescue Diver course. I can't imagine you will get any responses here advising you otherwise.

And by the way, the odds of failing Rescue Diver are very low. The guy in the other thread seems to have had a very unusual situation. The course is by no means a fluff course--you have to do some work--but it is not as demanding as you might imagine it from having read that other thread. If you are comfortable doing routine diving at this point, you'll do fine.

My motivation is to better understand what can go wrong, how to avoid it, and how to potentially deal with it if it does. I've had my first aid for longer than I can remember - I've never had a major incident that called me to use it, but similarly... I like knowing that I would have an idea of what to do if such a situation arose.

So the big question: is this a dumb motivation for taking the rescue course?

Sounds like you have the absolutely PERFECT motivation for taking Rescue - that's EXACTLY what the course is intended to provide.

Even if you never need to "rescue" someone - which will be the case for 99.99% of divers - you will certainly be a more self-aware, more other-aware, more prepared, more confident diver after taking a good rescue class.

First off their is nothing wrong with trying new shops even after you found one you like, 2nd I wouldn't listen to anyone who tries to convince you that rescue course is a waste of time and finally from what I understood from you concerns you might want to look into a "solo" course. Its similar to the rescue but more detailed and oriented to self-rescue and self-relience even if you never dive solo its always good knowledge to have.

As others have said, the rescue course, while not designed as a substitute for a "solo" course, I feel it is very beneficial. The course will provide insight into recognizing stress and panic in not only others, but also yourself and ways to minimize or elimate stressors. The rescue techniques taught are generally logical and designed to minimize "becoming a second victim". It gets you thinking about what if's and starts you mentally preparing for and recognizing potential problems. Alot of the course stresses preparation, in planning, mental preparation, and physical readiness for a dive. I found it to be one of the most rewarding courses I have taken and I feel would definately make you a more aware diver and buddy. Just my 2 cents.

I believe that the Rescue class will be good for you and the divers around you. Make sure you have your basics down reasonably well, your instructor can let you know what is important before you start.

Talk to your instructor about how he runs the classes, mine will work with a student until they can pass. In fact he encourages prior students to retake the class as a free refresher as long as there are slots open. He figures that practice helps and having a full class is more fun.

Did I mention to talk to your instructor?

Bob

I really dont think you should bother even reading further that the post by RJP (#4). This is what recue is about and IMO the most vital course. If I had to recommend only 1 course, it would be rescue!!!!

Without getting too verbose... Very good idea.

Jim

Go for it!

The rescue course will give you more training, experience and confidence.

Back
Top Bottom