Diving for Dollars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mick allein III

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a fascinating discussion with a recreational diver in my area who is doing pool inspections for some extra cash. I was curious if others do the same or if they have found a way to turn their hobby into part time work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was curious if others do the same or if they have found a way to turn their hobby into part time work.

Golfballs.png

You could also look into hull cleaning or inspections and changing zincs. This is shallow and easy work that does not require much in the way of special tools. Changing props is also not that hard but would require a prop puller. Salvage is another option, finding small objects that were dropped overboard is easy if the object is not too heavy. Salvage of mooring anchors is harder and would require the use of a boat but is more profitable. Salvaging boats is harder and probably more complicated then a sport diver should attempt.

Cutting line wrapped around props. I've gone after cellphones dropped off the city dock, or car keys, or sunglasses etc etc. Usually when I'm coming in from a dive, someone says "hey can you give a hand?" Simple jobs like that when I'm already in the water and geared-up I usually charge $25 to $50 depends on how tough or how long the job takes. Other work might include locating moorings or dropped gear, lost anchors, outboards, etc. A couple of weeks ago I recovered a huge crate of lobsters that went overboard into 30 feet of water, recovered it, got paid and some free samples. When I get an actual call, the phrase is: "I do not get into the water for less than $100." By the time I get gear together, get to to the site, gear up, do the job, get the gear home and cleaned up I figure the charge is about right. Oh yeah, and retrieving golf balls too! Plenty of work.

There's a great future in golfballs. Think about it. Will you think about it?

I thought golf was a sport in decline

No, I think that was SCUBA in a different thread.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I was self-employed, but I'll never work for another a**hole like that again.

Only among those who lose all their balls in the water...

I recently started helping an hvac company place geo thermal loops in ponds and lakes up here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom