too deep to resurface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoseidonsEnforcer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am curious what others think about this scenario-

This past summer I was shore diving with a new diving buddy. We were both checking out critters on a large wall and eventually due to New England's lovely viz, became separated at roughly 70 ft. (he turned a corner and was gone, even though I looked for him, shined my lights, etc...).

Now, at the beginning of the dive we both said that we should surface if we got separated, the problem is that I was at 70ft and didn't feel comfortable popping up at that depth. I slowly made my way back to the area where we started, made a safety stop at 15 ft, and surfaced. We eventually found each other, but he seemed pretty agitated that I didn't pop up right away. I told him I wasn't comfortable doing that at that depth, and he seemed to think it was ok... :confused:

My question is- Is it anyway safe to pop up for a minute and take a look for his bubbles at that depth? (i don't think so, just confirming that i'm not insane).

This past summer I was shore diving with a new diving buddy. We were both checking out critters on a large wall and eventually due to New England's lovely viz, became separated at roughly 70 ft. (he turned a corner and was gone, even though I looked for him, shined my lights, etc...).

Now, at the beginning of the dive we both said that we should surface if we got separated, the problem is that I was at 70ft and didn't feel comfortable popping up at that depth. I slowly made my way back to the area where we started, made a safety stop at 15 ft, and surfaced. We eventually found each other, but he seemed pretty agitated that I didn't pop up right away.

My question is- Would it be safe to pop up and take a look for his bubbles at that depth?

No way, never come up from 70 feet to look for your buddy. I mean once you are past 30 or 40 feet, everyone is on their own. See you back on the boat or at the beach.. :shakehead:

Yep, That is my sentiment exactly. I kind of had a "are you crazy?!" look on my face. I still only "pop up" if I'm at 25ft or less.

Now, at the beginning of the dive we both said that we should surface if we got separated, the problem is that I was at 70ft and didn't feel comfortable popping up at that depth. I slowly made my way back to the area where we started, made a safety stop at 15 ft, and surfaced. We eventually found each other, but he seemed pretty agitated that I didn't pop up right away.
Your buddy may have been agitated because in his mind you should have been on the surface in about four minutes (look for a minute, 3 minutes to surface) instead of seven, eight or more.
Was whether to conduct or omit a safety stop in the event of separation part of the pre-dive conversation?

You are right.. He is wrong.. Never push the deco... Every dive has the bends waiting for you to do something stuip..

Jim....

Now, at the beginning of the dive we both said that we should surface if we got separated, the problem is that I was at 70ft and didn't feel comfortable popping up at that depth. I slowly made my way back to the area where we started, made a safety stop at 15 ft, and surfaced. We eventually found each other, but he seemed pretty agitated that I didn't pop up right away. I told him I wasn't comfortable doing that at that depth, and he seemed to think it was ok... :confused:

My question is- Is it anyway safe to pop up for a minute and take a look for his bubbles at that depth? (i don't think so, just confirming that i'm not insane).

And a textbook reason to carry a pony.

So what if when you were separated, poo hit the fan ?

My pony is ALWAYS within an easy arms reach, how about your buddy?

I am kind of at a loss as to why you are asking this? You made an agreement and you did not live up to your end.

No one said you needed to make an unsafe ascent. You messed up, own it.

You agreed to ascend if separated. If you wanted to to a safety stop along the way, that's your prerogative, but continuing the dive wasn't a valid choice.

Now, I think agreeing to ascend if separated is generally a stupid idea and I wouldn't do it...but you missed that exit this time.

No way, never come up from 70 feet to look for your buddy. I mean once you are past 30 or 40 feet, everyone is on their own. See you back on the boat or at the beach.. :shakehead:

So much for the buddy system, RIP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom