Dry glove systems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I'm thinking pretty hard about switching from wet mittens to drygloves, I've been checking out the SiTech Antares system. Apparently, it's extremely compatible with my Waterproof D7 DS since the rings already glued to the Waterproof DSes are the same as the Antares outer rings. Anyway, watching Waterproof's YouTube videos on how to mount an Antares ring system and the dry gloves really brought out the teenage boy in me. Waterproof apparently recommends the use of a water-based lubricant on the O-rings in the Antares ring system. "Lubricant, you can find, maybe, in any store that sells... medical stuff..." I feel like Beavis and Butthead. "Heh, heh, heh, he said 'lubricant'". Are others reacting the same way, or is it just me who's incurably juvenile?

On a more serious note, what are the opinions about the Antares ring system? Is it worth the cost, or should I just go for (rubber) seal against (silicone) seal?

try the viking gloves simple and work great

I use the seal against seal approach. DRIS has some gloves that do that, so no rings to interfere with reaching your manifold. They are very easy to use. Basically a dryglove with a wrist seal glued to it.

Non...
Get a si-tech quick glove system !

Guys, some other ring system isn't very relevant, because

the rings already glued to the Waterproof DSes are the same as the Antares outer rings

So that would mean I'd have to rip out the existing rings - which incidentally hold my wrist seals - and then install the seals and new rings. Not going to happen.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I have the Antares system. It works well when it does, but personally I feel like it has many flaws. For one, the clips break like crazy. Had one clip snap from just dropping on the floor (not throwing, dropping), 50 dives in. Undergloves easily get in the way of the clips causing leaks...if I had the option before I'd probably go with a circular twist on dry glove.

I have the Antares system. It works well when it does, but personally I feel like it has many flaws. For one, the clips break like crazy. Had one clip snap from just dropping on the floor (not throwing, dropping), 50 dives in. Undergloves easily get in the way of the clips causing leaks...if I had the option before I'd probably go with a circular twist on dry glove.
I read alot of scuba forums, and i have seen lots and lots of people around the world saying the similar, that's why i say get a better system :)

And why do i recommend the quick glove system ?
Well to be true, i have had max one leak in over a hundred dives...
And i read the same from others. .
Can be abit up and down first few dives only (if brand new system) before o-ring seal Settles in good, is my experience.
Other than that, bulletproof.

I got the older system not made for gluing to the suit, buuut i have glued the rings permanent to the suit, and mounted silicone seals.. looks factory, and solid as heck, all year long :)

So, I took the chance and got the Antares rings despite the advice. Yes, I can be stubborn :) After a small handful of dives with them, my experience is:

• No tabs have broken (yet...). I've seen the claim that the early models used a wrong type of plastic, and that the newer ones have improved. I don't know.
  • It's VERY easy to don them improperly so they leak. Not fun in 5C water, especially if you're wearing the liners inside the wrist seal. A soaking wet arm is no fun in an open boat at about 2C. Have I mentioned that I'm a big fan of wool next to the skin when it's cold and I might get wet?
  • If you wear the liners outside the wrist seal, it's very easy to have the liner cuffs interfere with the tabs unless the cuffs are short. Even with the red rings installed.
  • The rings are slim, and the oval shape is nice for us who have moderate sized hands (I use about #9 gloves).
  • If you avoid interference with the tabs and are a little careful when donning, they work. Doffing is really easy after a couple of tries.

Would I recommend them? Probably not. But with a little care, they work, and if you have a Waterproof DS, installation takes about five minutes since the suit already has the oval rings installed, so there's that.

I'll keep experimenting with ways to wear the liners. Inside the wrist seal kinda sucks, since fixing and handling gear with wool glove liners on is almost as bad as fixing and handling gear with drygloves on. Outside the wrist seal, with a piece of bungee through the seal also kinda sucks, since a short section of the seals aren't insulated, neither on the inside nor on the outside since the liner cuffs don't reach all the way in. I guess my next experiment will be to pull my undergarment cuff through the seal before donning the liners. Alternatively. I could try wearing some wrist warmers under the seals, but that'll compromise the ability to take off the glove and remove the ventilation through the seal in case of a leak. So, there's still some experimenting left before I've found the ideal configuration...

Back
Top Bottom