Analyzers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellmoundal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:confused:I fee I need to post to clear up some confusion on analyzing your gas. As a cave diver we normally dive Nitrox. We analyze our nitrox on every dive and most of us have our own analyzers.
The 2nd analyze is the 02 check. Seems many divers are thinking that the Nitrox Analyzer is the same as an 02 Check. 'When we analyze with an 02 analyzer we are checking for carbon monoxide. The odorless, tasteless, killer.

We have lost several divers to 02 poising. Don't just check the percentage of nitrogen, take your time and test for carbon monoxide. Two different analyzers. We just had a situation last week where a cave diver checked for 02 and found it positive. If he had not done that you would be reading of several deaths in the North Florida area. Very reputable shop had a glitch in the system that omitted carbon monoxide. The Dive Shop immediately contacted all the people that had fills in the past 2 days.
Don't be the one that was killed due to compliancy. Accidents can occur at any time. Make sure you analyze for 02 and nitrogen percentage.

:confused:I fee I need to post to clear up some confusion on analyzing your gas. As a cave diver we normally dive Nitrox. We analyze our nitrox on every dive and most of us have our own analyzers.
The 2nd analyze is the CO check. Seems many divers are thinking that the Nitrox Analyzer is the same as an CO Check. 'When we analyze with an CO analyzer we are checking for carbon monoxide. The odorless, tasteless, killer.

We have lost several divers to CO poising. Don't just check the percentage of oxygen, take your time and test for carbon monoxide. Two different analyzers. We just had a situation last week where a cave diver checked for CO and found it positive. If he had not done that you would be reading of several deaths in the North Florida area. Very reputable shop had a glitch in the system that omitted carbon monoxide. The Dive Shop immediately contacted all the people that had fills in the past 2 days.
Don't be the one that was killed due to compliancy. Accidents can occur at any time. Make sure you analyze for CO and oxygen percentage.

I fixed the above for you. As a cave diver, please make sure you know the differences between O2 and CO, and Nitrogen vs. Oxygen. I am sure it was just a mistake, we all make them.

The 2nd analyze is the 02 check. Seems many divers are thinking that the Nitrox Analyzer is the same as an 02 Check. 'When we analyze with an 02 analyzer we are checking for carbon monoxide. The odorless, tasteless, killer.

We have lost several divers to 02 poising. Don't just check the percentage of nitrogen, take your time and test for carbon monoxide. Two different analyzers. We just had a situation last week where a cave diver checked for 02 and found it positive. If he had not done that you would be reading of several deaths in the North Florida area. Very reputable shop had a glitch in the system that omitted carbon monoxide. The Dive Shop immediately contacted all the people that had fills in the past 2 days.
Don't be the one that was killed due to compliancy. Accidents can occur at any time. Make sure you analyze for 02 and nitrogen percentage.

Uhh...wat?

c is a small letter, and sometimes it shrinks and becomes invisible.
Ignoring this, the point of the post was very good.

c is a small letter, and sometimes it shrinks and becomes invisible.
Ignoring this, the point of the post was very good.

Sorry guys for the mass confusion. I have no idea of what in the world I was thinking when I typed the post. I am glad you guys are covering me.
Obviously the complacency of us getting fills is a problem. Sometimes I feel we trust that all the fills are safe. The other day I had a pharmacist fill a prescription. The label was typed correctly but he had put the wrong medicine in the bottle. If I had not recognized that the pill was a different shape that my last prescription I would have been in trouble.
Even my post was in error. Test everything.

Last edited:
Thank you for this posting! We all need to be reminded of this regularly.

CHANGE ALL MY 02 POSTS TO CO. Sorry for the stupid error. I was thinking one thing and typing something else. Good thing I wasn't cave diving: LOL

Ok I will confess that I thought it would never happen to me in the US.
Well it did!
My buddy got it worse and thankfully no lasting ill effects.
THIS IS NO JOKE!

If you are diving you need to not trust your fill station!
I know the fellow we got gas from and he is a great guy no malice or bad feelings at all.
It was compressor issue, I had one myself earlier this year with mine.
YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TO NOT ANALYZE YOUR GAS FOR CO2!

Please heed the warnings it is such a preventable issue!

CamG

Ok I will confess that I thought it would never happen to me in the US.
Well it did!
My buddy got it worse and thankfully no lasting ill effects.
THIS IS NO JOKE!

If you are diving you need to not trust your fill station!
I know the fellow we got gas from and he is a great guy no malice or bad feelings at all.
It was compressor issue, I had one myself earlier this year with mine.
YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TO NOT ANALYZE YOUR GAS FOR CO2!

Please heed the warnings it is such a preventable issue!

CamG

CO2 is in your soda, not your gas ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom