Decompression Tables for Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm curious to know what are the decompression tables for Nitrox, any body can share this with me or send me a .pdf

I know BSAC have them but did not find a clear image from them.

I will do a Nitrox course in January, but I'm sure PADI will have nothing on it or am I wrong ? I only find NO-decompression tables.

Thanks

Remy, you may want to look at the Technical Diving thread. And I have no such qualification, but just asking, why do you want deco tables for Nitrox, especially if you're still at fewer than 24 dives? Nitrox (unlike air and definitely unlike deep-depth trimix) has rather strict depth limits depending on the percentage of oxygen, because oxygen becomes toxic if you go too deep much faster than with say just plain air. And why would you need deco then, if you can't go deeper than say 100 or 110' with that nitrox mix? Maybe if you did a really long dive you might, but that could require more than one tank to give you enough bottom time to go over your no-deco limit.

Others can say this better than me, I'm just a weekend stiff. But it seems you're asking a question that would normally come much later in a dive career, no offense intended either..

Remy, you may want to look at the Technical Diving thread. And I have no such qualification, but just asking, why do you want deco tables for Nitrox, especially if you're still at fewer than 24 dives? Nitrox (unlike air and definitely unlike deep-depth trimix) has rather strict depth limits depending on the percentage of oxygen, because oxygen becomes toxic if you go too deep much faster than with say just plain air. And why would you need deco then, if you can't go deeper than say 100 or 110' with that nitrox mix? Maybe if you did a really long dive you might, but that could require more than one tank to give you enough bottom time to go over your no-deco limit.

Others can say this better than me, I'm just a weekend stiff. But it seems you're asking a question that would normally come much later in a dive career, no offense intended either..

I think the OP made an unfortunate choice of terms, although BSAC does contribute to the mess by mixing up Decompression Tables with NDL diving. From their website:

In 1985 BSAC commissioned Dr Tom Hennessy, a world renowned researcher in the field, to jointly produce the first decompression tables specifically designed for sports diving. Published in 1988, so known as the BSAC '88 Tables, they form a booklet of four table sets giving no calculation repeat diving solutions from sea level to 3000 metres altitude.

Back to the OP's question, your course should include details about how to calculate the EAD based on your mix. With this you can use the 'normal' dive tables. If you're in Curacao, you're most likely doing multi-level diving and will be much better served by purchasing a dive computer that handles EAN. Before I get jumped on, this is no substitute for understanding how to calculate your maximum depth or calculate the PO2 for a given depth and mixture.

I think the OP is indeed asking about tables to assist with staged decompression diving with EAN, not no-stop ("no decompression") diving. If so, then all I can say is I'm getting some popcorn.

You'll learn all about that when you get to Advanced Nitrox & Decompressiob Procedures.

Until then, the NDL tables are what you need.

PADI does not use decompression tables, it uses software, and only in its Tec classes.
The first Nitrox course is non-decompression.
If for some reason you want to do deco using Nitrox after your first Nitrox course, and want to use tables, then you can use the Equivalent Air Depth concept, and then use air tables.

I appreciate your interventions and concerns, I understand the depth limitations on nitrox as I have the Nitrox tables, yes I have a DC with EAN programable up to 50%, I'm just curios as stated what are the time differences between Air and Nitrox, just curios on scenarios like deep dive on air and use the stand by bottle left at 10ft ( stage bottle right ? ) with nitrox 36 , or scenarios like extended dives with nitrox, with pony bottles with the same mix, just like to know what are the times that is all, I understand as well using the air tables while diving with nitrox for that extra safety.

I appreciate your interventions and concerns, I understand the depth limitations on nitrox as I have the Nitrox tables, yes I have a DC with EAN programable up to 50%, I'm just curios as stated what are the time differences between Air and Nitrox, just curios on scenarios like deep dive on air and use the stand by bottle left at 10ft ( stage bottle right ? ) with nitrox 36 , or scenarios like extended dives with nitrox, with pony bottles with the same mix, just like to know what are the times that is all, I understand as well using the air tables while diving with nitrox for that extra safety.
You can answer almost all your questions with the planning mode on your computer.

You can answer almost all your questions with the planning mode on your computer.

This is indeed true.

In the Enriched Air/Nitrox class we essentially teach you that oxygen is not a benefit-free element the human body can freely consume in endless quantity. Like many elements in the right quantity, oxygen is poisonous and has lethal consequences when applied in an adequate exposure. As you've already noted you can order up bottles of Nitrox in varying dosages of oxygen. Since you'll be writing yourself a prescription based upon your own knowledge and dive planning, it's best to get a proper foundation in training. While Nitrox is relatively safe in receational diving, it is only this way because of certain bottle handling procedures that are usually followed.

You'll probably quickly discover that diving air on your back and 36% used at 10ft isn't going to make much of a bit of difference toward your goal. There are strict protocols for switching gases underwater, and those protocols are sadly written in blood and tears. Carrying bottles and switching gases isn't a big deal, but it's imperative you have a reasonably complete understanding of what you're doing to yourself.

Regarding the tables you desire, you'll need to make your own and there are plenty of software options for that task. Please do NOT make the mistake of cutting your own tables and diving without a complete understanding of what you're asking your body to do for you.

I'll humor you with an example generated using V-Planner's phone version. I've intentionally set the conservatism for zero, so if you dive this I can practically promise you that you'll get bent. It's also for an ungodly long dive, which better illustrates several things, so the consequences of following this plan would likely not be some minor joint pain so much as a bad type II hit.

Anyway, on with the illustration...I've selected a 90 minute dive on air at 120' with and without a switch to 36%:

Without any nitrox (whole dive on air):

20 second stop at 70'
5 minute stop at 60'
9 minute stop at 50'
13 minute stop at 40'
20 minute stop at 30'
32 minute stop at 20'
59 minute stop at 10'

With 36% nitrox (all stops on EAN):

20 second stop at 70'
3 minute stop at 60'
7 minute stop at 50'