Why Spearfishing is an advanced Activity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A video from a single dive I made recently in 85 ft in Palm Beach.

First fish 4-5 lb snapper - easy.
Second fish: 25-28 lb Amberjack- kicked my butt.

Dragged me around spinning me, turning me, hitting me in the face, came very close to slamming my head into a wreck, wrapped my body up in 400 lb fishing line which connects the gun and the shaft.

Normally, it is not nearly so "exciting". A shot that was 2 inches away would have been lights out, but that is NOT what happened. :shakehead:

The actual audio includes me swearing like a sailor, so it had to be turned off. Once you get all wrapped up in shooting line, you are committed; you are now being drug around and you hope you can protect your mask, and that you don't impale yourself on the 5 ft shaft slapping around and you hope that a shark doesn't decide to take advantage of your situation... or you could be in for a real ride.

Don't underestimate how much trouble a moderately sized fish can present, if you decide to take up the hobby of spearing.:)

The fish is going in the smoker today.

[video=youtube_share;JVt7uPr5_Hs]http://youtu.be/JVt7uPr5_Hs?list=UU1utDku8vJRJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Only problem I see is you didn't get the 2nd one..:)

How are you preparing the AJ?

I have "heard" that they are full of worms but if you gut them immediately and put the skin side on the ice the worms crawl out. I have not tried it and was curious before I go and copy you and all the fun you had. :D

I was watching an AJ kick the crap out of you and wrap you up today...all I could think about was...Why didn't you pull it in tight and rip it's gills out when you had the chance?

I was watching an AJ kick the crap out of you and wrap you up today...all I could think about was...Why didn't you pull it in tight and rip it's gills out when you had the chance?

I was kinda hoping my buddy would deliver a second shaft, but none of that is necessary if you make the perfect shot in the first place. I was pulling the fish in and trying to grab it with 100% effort once the fun started. Ripping out the gills does not do much for a while and it turns the visibility to zero as it dumps tons of blood in the water column. Not so good in bullshark territory.

I prefer to try to grab the gills, control the head and then carefully scramble the brain with a dagger type knife. It works great on paper - every time.

as for worms.. They are usually only in the tail section (last 1/3 of body).. this one had only a tiny bit in the tail. Just fillet off the clean areas like any other fish, skin and remove red meat.

At approximately 1:00, what is the long "shadowy fish" in the distance?

At approximately 1:00, what is the long "shadowy fish" in the distance?
Grouper

Where is a second shaft when you need it. On my coast we usually don't brain our fish unless they deserve it. But you guy's are sharkier over there.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Glad you survived that. Up here we call that a Jamaican sleigh ride. Unfortunate, but it happens. I eat alot of AJ. As said that last 1/3rd is a through away. I allways cure with 1/3 salt and 2/3 brown sugar overnight, and then deliver the smoke at around 170 or 190 degrees till the the mother appears on the steaks. MMMM good. I eat it like jerky.
Eric

I like to see posts about hunting.
Somewhere along the line hunting has become some sort of a taboo to many.
I love sea food and I'm an avid hunter myself. I see nothing wrong with it.
Good job on the AJ.
I like the freedive fins too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom