Lift bag for Advanced Nitrox/ Deco Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwelburn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a lift bag to use for class, as well as general use (ocean trash/lead cleanups). Not being exceptionally wealthy, I'm looking for a good value. I'm looking at a couple from piranha dive mfg, as well as other sources.

Requirements:
- 50 to 100 lbs of lift
- baffled mouth at the bottom to prevent spillage
- OPV/dump valve
- under $70 shipped, unless there is a really convincing reason

What I'm looking at right now:

50lb Orange Liftbag also sold here under a different name: Amazon.com : Dolphin Tech By IST 50lb Lift Bag w/210D TPU Coated Nylon : Diving Safety Gear : Sports & Outdoors
Anyone have experience with this bag? Good? Bad? To me it looks promising, but I'd like to hear other folk's experiences. I like the dump cord close to the bottom to control ascents from a better spot.

I'm also looking at 70Lb Liftbag w/Flapper valve open style. Or for the same price 140Lb Liftbag w/Flapper valve. I'm trying to match the bag to my specific requirements, and 140lbs is almost triple what I need for worst case wing failure deco, which is not necessarily a good thing of course. So unless somebody comes up with a crazy good reason, I'd stick with the 70lb.

Thoughts between the two? The 70lb bag is $15 cheaper, and has 20lb more lift. Is having the dump cord at the bottom worth sacrificing the extra lift and extra money?

Any other thoughts on lift bags that fit the criteria are welcome! And links to said products of course. Any thoughts in general are of course welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Like you said, bigger is NOT better. Bigger is actually worse. You pretty much want the smallest lift bag you can get away with. The dump towards the bottom is FANTASTIC compared to none. I wouldn't want a lift bag without one, but I'm a smidgeon spoiled about that kind of stuff.

However, my first point of advice is to call your instructor and get a recommendation on what he/she is looking for and/or recommends.

If I were you, I'd get the 50# bag from Piranha....right after an instructor call.

In my opinion a fully closed bag is a better way to go since if you let the tension drop off the line and it lays down on the surface, it won't spill gas. It will also stand taller making it visible from further away, especially if there are waves.

50# bags are just fine, plus they fold/roll up a bit nicer than 75# or 100# bags. There is no need for a bag bigger than 50# unless you need more lift for a specific salvage job.

Halcyon 4.5' CC bag.

/thread

Deep Deals & Blemishes | Wreck Diver Supply

They only have the 'so you can pass Fundies' version on sale now, but this tends to be a good place to grab them on the cheap while still getting their warranty coverage.

I have one like the 70lb you linked. I just pulled off the small cord and put a longer one on so I could pull it from the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom