Difference between cave diving and cavern diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My post about wanting to do it all had opened my eyes, and made me think.

Thank you, your responses have helped me realize what really is involved.

It has also made me wonder: What is the difference between a cave and a cavern?

I know if I have to squeeze somewhere, I will not want to go there. I am mildly claustrophobic.

I have no issue with using a light.

I have my ice diving certification. Why is it that they cannot have all overhead environments be the same? You mess up on an ice dive and you may be found when the ice breaks up.

You wont be doing constrictions in Cavern course... Cavern is in the daylight zone, generally limited to 100' depth and or 150' horizontal penetration... its a great way to decide if you want to progress to CAVE... and will make you a better diver any way you look at it.... you WILL be doing most of the same skills that a CAVE student would be doing.... don't know where you plan on doing your cavern course at... but if you want to do it in N Florida there are several that are worth the time and money.... just research which organization you would want to ultimately get your cert from... and pick instructor accordingly... I HIGHLY SUGGEST NAUI specially if you live far from underwater caves...

Tim

Daylight and an exit point.
You can easily find it in a cavern.
Not so a cave.

Chug
not a cave diver.
not interested.

I am sure someone will be more definitive but as I understand it Cavern has an over head but is still in the light zone and has direct exit to the entry. Cave has an overhead but not in the light zone and does not have direct access to the entry.

The definition of cavern varies with agency, but all agree that it is within the daylight zone (visible light) and involves a combination of depth and penetration distance that is less than or equal to 200 feet. Note that, by definition, there is no cavern zone at night.

Ice, wreck and cave diving share a commonality, in that they are all carried out under an overhead, but the similarities really stop there. Ice diving generally is done in relatively large bodies of water and in daylight, so zero viz really isn't an issue. Navigation is generally not complex. Ice diving is also sometimes carried out using techniques (eg. tethers) which are not applicable to the other two.

As noted above, the difference between cave diving and cavern diving is huge. One techie told me it's about the same as the difference between lightening and a lightening bug. I read in the op's post "mildly claustrophobic." I would not recommend cave diving to that person. Ever.
DivemasterDennis

When asked why people dive in caves, an answer that is often given is that you either get it or you don't. It sounds like a put down, but it is not. Some people feel a kind of excitement when diving in a cave-like environment. Others feel nothing of the kind. Neither is right or wrong; they are just different feelings from different people.

I don't think you can really know what is true for you unless you try it. The value of a good cavern course is that it enables you to get a decent experience safely. If you think, "Wow! that was great," you will want to go on some day and get cave training. If you don't have positive feelings about it, then you have learned that you have no reason to go on.

Don't worry about the claustrophobia. You don't know if it'll carry over to diving or not until you try it. For example: I know a cave diver who is afraid of the dark. But not so underwater. I know, weird huh.

Dry caving terrifies me. Mainly because I'm afraid of getting stuck or dirty. I'm also afraid of spiders and bats. But I love underwater cave diving. If you find yourself in Florida, give me a shout. We'll go figure out if this is for you or not.

As far as I understand it, Cavern Diving is where the divers are never more than 200 metres from the exit point and the dive has to be led by a certified Cave Diver licenced to take guests. Anyone with AOW and above can do cavern Diving with such a guide. Also, I think a guide is restricted to am maximum of 6 divers in one trip.

Cave diving exceeds those parameters and can only be done by certified Cave Divers or those training to become Cave Divers. But there may be exceptions to this - I am not sure.

But I wonder if these rules are sometimes bent. In Dreamgate Cenote near Tulum, it seemed to us like we were over 200m from the exit but on the flipside was the fact that we did not see any side channels where one could get lost.

In some other Yucatan Cenotes there are clear warning markers to indicate the limit of cavern diving. It is up to the guide and his guests not to go beyong those limits. When my wife and I did the Yucatan cenotes, Budgie was very clear that we should remain within those limits and there was no question of bending the rules.

As far as I understand it, Cavern Diving is where the divers are never more than 200 metres from the exit point and the dive has to be led by a certified Cave Diver licenced to take guests. Anyone with AOW and above can do cavern Diving with such a guide. Also, I think a guide is restricted to am maximum of 6 divers in one trip.

The responses above are more accurate than this. They key consistency with all the varying definitions is staying within the daylight zone. If all lights are off, you should be able to see your way out.

Most of your explanation here is not related to the definition of cavern diving but is instead a reference to rules that particular dive operators follow. Those rules are not universal.

Back
Top Bottom