Deep stops in your Suunto ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a Suunto D4i as a christmas present, I set the alarms, in one is the Deep stop alarms, in my Mares Punk Pro dosen't have this programable so far I know, do you use this future or it is pretty much annoying and I ratther leave this disactivated, with my mares only once it told me to do a deep stop, but it is something automatic no users input in this.

For what I understood in the Suunto manual if active it will tell you to do a deep stop every single dive, did I understood right ?

Now I have two dive computers so I will use them both when I hit the water, as a redundancy safety.

I have the Suunto D6 with the same feature and have never used it for diving within NDL's. I, as a course of habit make really slow ascents (10' per minute) and usually hang at 15' for 5 minutes or more depending on the number of divers still in the water. Diving with a deco obligation is a whole different story.

Not every single dive will it give you a deep stop, depends on the depth of the dive. A dive to 40 feet will not present a deep stop.

Good thread on the efficacy of deep stops in tech forum.Better one on rebreather world but is epic long and reads like Russian literature.

Not every single dive will it give you a deep stop, depends on the depth of the dive. A dive to 40 feet will not present a deep stop.

are you talking about the Suunto ?

Didn't read thru all the replies but like about everything that involves the 'science' of diving, you're going to find conflicting info. For instance, Eric Baker Clearing Up the Confusion About Deep Stops does not advocate deep stops. Richard Pyle however in Deco for Divers does.
Although this info is primarily for deco, I see no reason to not to follow the same reasoning for NDL.

For me, no deep stops but 60 feet per minute (from say 100' to 50-60') then 30 feet per minute up to appx 30 feet then really slow after that.

Cocoa that is hilarious 4 replies and you could not read through them all? LOL - very funny Happy Holidays...

The deep stop is not activated on every dive, if I remember correctly this happens below 18m on my Vyper Air and D9tx, you are also able to program the time of the stop as well. If you are using the integrated transmitter the DC will not show the estimated remaining air time with the deep stops turned on. This will vary on for every diver but a deep stop is another good safety measure for deep dives, I am one who prefers this even though I am already performing the deep stops either way during my planned dives; it is just an added safety feature I like and use. If you fail to complete the deep stop your computer will still continue to wpro properly but just been and flash at you a few times to let you know.

Good thread on the efficacy of deep stops in tech forum.Better one on rebreather world but is epic long and reads like Russian literature.

The RBW/Tech discussion is not really comparable to deep safety stops like the Suunto algo gives. The amount of time spent on a deep safety stop is minuscule, and the depth is ~60', which is way too shallow to be analogous to the deep deco stops being debated in tech circles.

The deep stop is not activated on every dive, if I remember correctly this happens below 18m on my Vyper Air and D9tx, you are also able to program the time of the stop as well. If you are using the integrated transmitter the DC will not show the estimated remaining air time with the deep stops turned on. This will vary on for every diver but a deep stop is another good safety measure for deep dives, I am one who prefers this even though I am already performing the deep stops either way during my planned dives; it is just an added safety feature I like and use. If you fail to complete the deep stop your computer will still continue to wpro properly but just been and flash at you a few times to let you know.

But is this related as well about the amount of time spent deeper than 18m ? Or every time you go deeper than 18m ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom