Tips and tricks for valve shutdown in a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After moving from a wetsuit to a drysuit, I can no longer reach my valves. At first, I thought this was just a part of getting used to a drysuit, and would go away, but after a couple dozen dives building comfort, I did not make any progress at all, and at this point, I do not think just mindless, repeated attempts at it are really going to cut the mustard, or get me to the level of fluency I am after. I would like to be able to reliably shutdown either post in under 10 seconds every time I try, and I need a strategy to get there.

When I did my deco procedures earlier this year in a wetsuit and double AL80s, the valve drill, surprisingly, was the easiest part of it. I did not have to think about it, I just reached back, and the post was right there, I did not have to loosen my crotch strap, twist my body, or struggle. This makes me think I do not have unusual mobility issues. I recently busted my right shoulder, but it is healing pretty well, and by now, it is just about as bad as the other one ever was. I am diving a Whites Fusion drysuit with a neck ring that is known to restrict movement, but it is my understanding that people somehow find a way to make it work. I suspect the suit is the issue, but it is not quite clear how exactly it restricts movement, or what to do about it. When I suit up, I try to pull more of it towards the chest to make sure it does not pull down, but it does not make a difference. I dive Faber HP100s with the Thermo manifold. My valve handles should be sticking out just as high behind my neck as they did on the AL80s, where I did not seem to have any difficulty doing the drill.

What is happening now is that, after loosening my crotch strap, positioning my shoulder lower to let the doubles slip a little forward and sideways, and pushing with one hand on the tank bottoms, with some effort I can brush against the manifold, eventually pull it, then brush against the valve, and work my way to the point where I can actually grab it enough to turn. It takes both of my hands to pull the tank to the right place, it takes a minute or what feels like a minute, during which time I am badly out of trim, with head down and tilted. This is a complete mess, and I do not really think I can ever make it work the way I want it.

I must not be the first person who struggled. Any of this sound familiar? Please share...

This the best piece I've ever read on valve drills: Valve Drills / Shutdowns

I would be delighted to meet up with you for a dive and see if I can diagnose anything. Most of the time, it's suit or undergarment, but sometimes it's the way you are moving your arm, or where you have your tanks set on your back.

Do a 'pre stretch' of the drysuit and undies. Put some gas in it (probably more than you usually dive with) and REALLY give it a good stretch. Arms up, shoulders up like you're reaching for a bag in the overhead bin of an airplane, arms out, arms all around. Get horizontal as any gas at the top of your wing will only serve to push your doubles away from you. Look forward, reach back and keep your elbow in towards your ear. If you can get a finger or two on the reg/manifold/ a hose/ SOMETHING, you can kinda 'finger walk' your way to the valve. This helps you get a feel for where they are and what you have to do to deal with the increased bulk of the drysuit and undergarment.

Try dat.

Thanks a lot to all of you, guys! After reading your replies and the great article TSandM linked above, I am starting to realize that several of the things I am doing are probably only making things worse.

This the best piece I've ever read on valve drills: Valve Drills / Shutdowns I would be delighted to meet up with you for a dive and see if I can diagnose anything. Most of the time, it's suit or undergarment, but sometimes it's the way you are moving your arm, or where you have your tanks set on your back.

I would love that! I have been looking forward to diving with you :)

Do a 'pre stretch' of the drysuit and undies. Put some gas in it (probably more than you usually dive with) and REALLY give it a good stretch. Arms up, shoulders up like you're reaching for a bag in the overhead bin of an airplane, arms out, arms all around. Get horizontal as any gas at the top of your wing will only serve to push your doubles away from you. Look forward, reach back and keep your elbow in towards your ear. If you can get a finger or two on the reg/manifold/ a hose/ SOMETHING, you can kinda 'finger walk' your way to the valve. This helps you get a feel for where they are and what you have to do to deal with the increased bulk of the drysuit and undergarment.

Try dat.

Indeed! All great suggestions... I am going out of trim, trying harder, and just getting tense. I should try to stretch and relax. I probably have not enough air for mobility. I am looking down instead of up, trying to get those tanks to slide, a friend pointed out today that I might be arching my back as a result. A lot of good tips try on the next dive. Thanks!

short answer is you have to stick the tanks up higher. If you could reach it before in a wetsuit it might just mean you have to bring the tanks up another inch.

Thanks, T-bone. I wonder if I am actually overdoing it, by loosening the crotch strap, I also make my harness more loose thinking that would help. According to the cited article, it sounds like another mistake. I wonder if the valves are actually where they need to be relative to the harness, and I am just pushing them out of my reach by making wrong adjustments. I think the plate sits just about the same as it sat on the AL80s.

I can't remember if it's in Gareth's article, but one of the issues is that, when you are straining to reach back, you rear up in the water, going out of trim, and having gravity pull the tanks AWAY from your hands. What works for me is thinking about pushing my butt up, and pushing the tanks up to my hands.

Check the shoulder straps on your harness, they could be to tight and increase the crotch strap lenght.

There is a significant difference between harness adjustments for wet and drysuit.

Stretching is the other obvious solution to increase mobility.

Big one is make sure you tip slightly head down if you're going to go out of trim, and make sure the tanks are sitting in the same spot as they were for the AL80's in relation to the crown of the neck. The HP100's are a few inches shorter, but if you have the top band right below the crown you should be good. If you still can't reach it isn't the end of the world to slide the bands down half an inch so the tanks pick up a bit.

Other one is like is mentioned before, before you get into the harness, and while you're getting into the harness before you buckle everything in, make sure you reach all the way above your head so the drysuit isn't pulled too tight over your shoulders, that is usually patient 0 in this endeavor. Next one is make sure that the shoulder straps are following the fist rule and you shouldn't need to loosen the crotch strap.

Back
Top Bottom