Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedgehog47

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, currently winter diving with AL80, SS plate and in the process of getting a smaller "donut" style wing. I find I am foot-heavy. I can't move the tank up any farther without it hitting my head. Unless than a trim weight on the tank bank, are there any other options?

What kind of fins are you using? Big, negative fins like Jets can do this -- sometimes you can ameliorate it by bending your knees, so the weight isn't so far out behind you.

If you are using any additional weight, you can move it up to the cambands, or even wrap a tank weight around the neck of the tank.

I do find it strange, though, that you are feet-heavy with an Al80. Those get so butt-light as they empty, I am almost always trying to move weight DOWN to avoid doing a face plant.

I have 4 pounds of external weight. was trying to avoid putting it on the tank straps but I guess I can try it. I have force fins and they are negative i think 10%

You can shift weights from your Weightbelt/Integrated to your cambands.
You'll need some non-releasable weight pockets to mount on there.

Judging from your Dive Profile I'm going to take a generalized guess and say that your body position also attributes to your feet heavy trim.
If you elongate your arms in front of you, bend your legs up at the knee, arch your upper back, and work on your breathing patterns, you'll probably be able to fix most of that trim issue.
Your head should also be craned back and resting on your tank valve (or close to). Imagine looking up a tall giant and puffing our your chest. That's one thing I'm still working on becoming natural.
If I'm not thinking about it, I'm always head/neck neutral, back slumped, and my feet trim down as a result.

[video=youtube;JlUjnXBzNlc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlUjnXBzNlc[/video]

Do you have your knees bent? That will pull your center of gravity further north. Same with putting you hands out in front of you...

Carib_112113_033.jpg

I have the same problem. For some reason I have a butt of lead. :) I simply push my tank up as far as I can comfortably tolerate and put some weight up on my shoulders along with keeping my arms stretched out in front. Works great. With a drysuit all I do is add a little more air to my feet.

I am goint to go out on a limb here and say that with force fins... I might suggest that you are in fact top heavy... not feet heavy.

One odd result of being top-heavy is often that people tend to overcompensate because the feeling of falling forward is really uncomfortable.
I know it sounds really opposite of what you think, but just once, try to get weights as far down as possible... stretch your legs as far out, also, stretch your arms out and see which way you "fall".

hmm, I'll consider what you guys have said, thank you. I dont want to swim with my arms out in front of me

hmm, I'll consider what you guys have said, thank you. I dont want to swim with my arms out in front of me

just to be clear, RJP's picture in post #5 shows what is meant by "arms out front" (as opposed to stretching them out as far as they will go). It is a very comfortable position for the arms when in a horizontal position.

Judging from your Dive Profile I'm going to take a generalized guess and say that your body position also attributes to your feet heavy trim
In proper trim, you should be clenching your butt a very noticeable amount.

I have the same problem. For some reason I have a butt of lead. :) I simply push my tank up as far as I can comfortably tolerate and put some weight up on my shoulders along with keeping my arms stretched out in front. Works great. With a drysuit all I do is add a little more air to my feet.
This is huge. I thought forever I was foot heavy. Turned out I was. My wife, however, was not.

It's actually a lot more comfortable than you'd think. Especially once you throw a light on a goodman handle (or sock) and put a computer on your wrist. You're diving in a very natural, neutral position. I can't stand to dive with my hands NOT in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom