Where can I find CO bump gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DancinDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

We finally got a CO analyzer to take with us to Mexico, but the LDS gave me a blank stare when I asked about 10 ppm bump gas (or even any CO calibration gas). We looked online, but the smallest we could find was a 10L cylinder, which is a bit more than either the SO and I are willing to have hanging around our (very) small home.

Should we just call around to other local shops? Is there a mini-sized cylinder out there we've missed? How do other people calibrate their analyzers?

All help is appreciated…
- DnD

I got mine when I bought my Analox analyzer. Maybe they stopped selling it when they quit making the analyzer. But I don't think I ever used mine. I'll sell it to you if you can't find another.
Check the places that sold the analyzers and they may have some bump gas cans left.

Hi all,

We finally got a CO analyzer to take with us to Mexico, but the LDS gave me a blank stare when I asked about 10 ppm bump gas (or even any CO calibration gas). We looked online, but the smallest we could find was a 10L cylinder, which is a bit more than either the SO and I are willing to have hanging around our (very) small home.

Should we just call around to other local shops? Is there a mini-sized cylinder out there we've missed? How do other people calibrate their analyzers?

All help is appreciated…
- DnD

I live in the boonies, so I adjust mine so it is just registering 0 ppm.

I got mine when I bought my Analox analyzer. Maybe they stopped selling it when they quit making the analyzer. But I don't think I ever used mine. I'll sell it to you if you can't find another.
Check the places that sold the analyzers and they may have some bump gas cans left.

kwinter,

The place where we got it had no calibration gas available. I may take you up on your offer, as it I have never seen the sensor register above 1ppm, even while breathing into the sensor full tilt.

I want to be certain it is actually functioning before I trust it to test my tanks. Without a known concentration calibration gas, I can't have that comfortable feeling.

If I don't find anything in the next few days, I'll PM you.

Thanks!
- DnD

Maybe a fire station would do it for you?

Any safety supply stores near your area?

kwinter,

The place where we got it had no calibration gas available. I may take you up on your offer, as it I have never seen the sensor register above 1ppm, even while breathing into the sensor full tilt.

- DnD

Are you a smoker? If not, why would you be exhaling carbon monoxide. That's quite the trick if you ask me.

While I cannot say this will calibrate anything, if you really want to see if it's working well, just crank your car/truck and quickly pass it under the exhaust. Mine will go nuts, flashing alarms and red LEDs and register over 50 ppm immediately. As to the breath bump test....somewhat funny, I hold my breath and cannot get it to register. My 11 year old holds his breath and gets 1 ppm every time. Yes, Pete, he is certainly a non-smoker....lol.

As to it's accuracy, I've had a tank register 9 ppm. While that is technically E grade, I like Mod E at 2ppm or less. I dumped the tank and got another fill. I've never had another tank over 1 ppm....crossing my fingers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom