Air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I consider myself a good diver. I have over 200 dives in all types on conditions. My problem is I like to breathe! I go through my air faster than anyone else. I am always the first to come up and it drives me crazy. I am as comfortable in the water as can be but just seem to burn through air. I have tried it all counting 1-10 &10-1 on breathing and exhaling. I need to know what is the problem before it drives me insane. For the past 2 months I have been diving twice a week and still it is not improving. Any sugestions? Please don’t comment about buoyancy issues as mine is near perfect. I really can only account for it being low is that I constantly breathe.

How's your fitness level? Aside from that...some people are just going to use more gas.

How's your fitness level? Aside from that...some people are just going to use more gas.

I can run a 5 mile run in under an hr and swim 400 yds in under 10 min. I am not in top fit condition but consider myself active.

Please don’t comment about buoyancy issues as mine is near perfect.

Damn -- will you come out here and show me because I have to continually work at it.

Before anyone can really begin to answer your question, YOU need to answer some questions:

a. What is your RMV/SAC (Respiratory Minute Volume/Surface Air Consumption) rate? Without knowing what that is, your question really can't be answered.

b. What is your gear configuration? All other things being equal, "he who has the most things" loses due to drag.

c. Do you carry (and use) a camera?

d. How big (H/W) are you?

e. How is your trim? (A different issue than being neutral in the water.)

f. What is your default kicking style?

Remember, SOMEONE is going to run out of air first -- so why shouldn't it be you?

My SAC runs consistently about .6. However, most of my dive buddies are younger and smaller than me, with lower SAC rates. So, I can relate to your situation.

CO2 in our system is what makes us breathe. The better we purge it, the less we'll need to breathe. Focus on more complete exhalations to reduce your dead air space and see if that helps.

Damn -- will you come out here and show me because I have to continually work at it.

Before anyone can really begin to answer your question, YOU need to answer some questions:

a. What is your RMV/SAC (Respiratory Minute Volume/Surface Air Consumption) rate? Without knowing what that is, your question really can't be answered.

b. What is your gear configuration? All other things being equal, "he who has the most things" loses due to drag.

c. Do you carry (and use) a camera?

d. How big (H/W) are you?

e. How is your trim? (A different issue than being neutral in the water.)

f. What is your default kicking style?

Remember, SOMEONE is going to run out of air first -- so why shouldn't it be you?

A. When I calculate it is between .8 & 1.0

B. Simple backplate and wing

C. Not latley but all things equal everyone I dive with is task loading exactly the same.

D. 5'10/ 215lb

E. Trim is decent but at times when I dive I have to be vertical.

F. Kick is frog style

I am currently a volunteer diver for the Georgia Aquarium and basing this info off the past 60 days of diving(20 dives). I am surfacing and others are staying sown 10 min average longer than I am and still.

.16, really?

Check your weighting too. All things being equal an overweighted diver will work harder than a properly weighted diver. That translates to more breathing gas used.

Back
Top Bottom