7 foot hose and Snorkel problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone, I looked for a post on this and couldn't find one, I am sure I missed it so if someone can point me in the right direction if it has been posted.

I just did day 1 of 2 of my rescue course today. When we did our out of air scenario and i removed my 7ft hose to give to the out of air diver it caught on my snorkel and took a few seconds to untangle it before i could get it to the diver (which could be an issue if this happened again and is not a scenerio). Now, its a problem only when I have my snorkel on, which is only for class. So I can survive tomorrow, but I start my DM on Wednesday and am not sure if I must have my snorkel throughout the course.

1. Do I have to have it through my DM?

2. I normally wrap it around my body and neck, is their another way to route the long hose so this isnt a problem if i have to use a snorkel in the future?

Thanks

Hey everyone, I looked for a post on this and couldn't find one, I am sure I missed it so if someone can point me in the right direction if it has been posted.

I just did day 1 of 2 of my rescue course today. When we did our out of air scenario and i removed my 7ft hose to give to the out of air diver it caught on my snorkel and took a few seconds to untangle it before i could get it to the diver (which could be an issue if this happened again and is not a scenerio). Now, its a problem only when I have my snorkel on, which is only for class. So I can survive tomorrow, but I start my DM on Wednesday and am not sure if I must have my snorkel throughout the course.

2. I normally wrap it around my body and neck, is their another way to route the long hose so this isnt a problem if i have to use a snorkel in the future?

Thanks

Depending on what agency you are training with you might have to use useless gear throughout your dive master. Have you considered why you are training with an agency that has requirements that are nonsensical to you?

Sure wrapping a long hose is no problem if you ditch the snorkel. Do it now. You will be happy you did.

Honestly a "few seconds" is hardly something to worry about. If you want to trundel around on the surface with a snorkel go for it. You might not miss it for the next ten years, or ever, but who knows?

You have to have a snorkel with you, but you do not have to be wearing it on your mask. It's a pretty easy fix.

Long hose and snorkel don't really go hand in hand.

Thanks

They are not compatible as you have found out. Stow the snorkel or lose it or lose the long hose.

If you were to actually need to hand the regulator off it would probably take your mask with it leaving you blind at a critical moment.

N

Get a folding snorkel and keep it in your pocket while in class. That way you meet their requirement of having the snorkel on you for the class. If they insist that you have the snorkel attached to your mask during the class, you'll have to switch to a shorter hose. As you found, keeping the snorkel and long hose is not an option.

It does not work.... I tried to go diving when I was 10 with a garden hose taped to the snorkel... You will not be able to breathe... Trust me... Spend the money on a scuba tank..

Jim...

Is the snorkel pushed back on your mask strap so it comes at a 45 degree angle to your mouth?
Also look into purchasing a $20 J snorkel without the corrugated tubing. That corrugated tubing on most "scuba" snorkels increases odds of tangling.
Riffe, Omer, Cressi, and other spearfish/freedive companies make them.

With any snorkel pushed back, you want to still duck your head but also turn it slightly right when donating the long hose. This will help in keeping it from hooking the snorkel. It may still hook slightly (especially the corrugated hose), but with the right head turn it may slide off instead of locking in and tangling.

You want to be horizontal when donating, being vertical with a long hose setup is not what it is optimized for. If someone pulls the long hose out of your mouth and down while you're vertical, you'll be locked in and unable to fully deploy over your head until they give you back slack. If that happens you'll have at best 6-20in of hose to play with, depending if you stowed it under a can light or not. Normal primaries are 28-36in btw; so you have the potential to screw yourself royally if you dive vertical with a long hose.

Being vertical also increases your chances of tangling with the snorkel. Simply because vertical you're looping the long hose over the top of your head when donating. Horizontal, it's looping over the back of your head when donating, so at that point your snorkel is pointed down and away when you duck your head.

Also you may want to consider a 44in hose w/ 70 or 90 angle adapter. Long hose/bungee backup was never optimized for UW gear removals; that was the last thing on the mind of those who optimized their use. It honestly doesn't have a huge part in DM & Inst UW checkout skills. Not that it can't be done, but if you're not already familiar with the system, don't learn it while you do your DM.

You already passed the deadline to become familiar with it since you start on Wednesday. Get a shorter 44in hose and 90 angle adapter and learn the 7ft taskload later.

jsnorkel__18425_std.jpg

[video=youtube;l-Jr8NyrvIs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Jr8NyrvIs[/video]

Last edited:
.... If they insist that you have the snorkel attached to your mask during the class, you'll have to switch to a shorter hose. As you found, keeping the snorkel and long hose is not an option.

To the best of my knowledge there is no agency that mandates having a snorkel attached to your mask. Such a configuration is ideal for snorkelling but pretty stupid for scuba diving. I have met a few (2 or 3 at most) divers over the years that believe a snorkel has some use whilst surface swimming (I am not part of this group). Most kit configurations would allow the stowage of such a device for deployment at the surface, a BC pocket for example. Since the snorkel has no application whatsoever once submerged wearing it whilst underwater would appear to be a rather odd thing to do. Attaching it to your mask where it could entangle with other equipment is not just odd but idiotic.

I cannot say anything about other training agencies' equipment requirements, but, PADI outlines in their Instructor Manual that for their Rescue Class and the Divemaster Course the students are to have Standard Equipment in which "Fins, mask and snorkel" are mentioned first. It does not say anything about wearing them.

But for the DM course you have to perform the dive skills are "demonstration level"... that includes all skills involving a snorkel. Demonstration levels are slow and exadjuated so the student can see them. I have never had any issues with my long hose getting tangled in my snorkel...maybe it is just me, I don't know.

Here is a question I pose to the OP, "Why do your DM course with a long hose?"

I do not think there is anything wrong with it, I used a BP/W and long hose/short hose configuration for most of my DM course. I also used a BCD and "typical length" hoses too any thing I had to interact with other candidates, e.g. rescue #7, equipment exchange and dive skills demonstration. My suggestion is that as a dive professional you be proficient in both configurations and then you select the appropriate equipment configuration for you DM task at hand.

I teach Open Water in a BCD with typical regulators because this has been and most likely continue to be the equipment my students use. I also teach Rescue and DM with this set up. I teach Advanced Open Water and all specialties, especially Wreck Diver, in a BP/W and long hose/short hose...I want to show them there is other equipment out there besides the basic BCD.

Just my two cents....

I did my DM pool work (only place you need to do demonstrations) in a "standard recreational configuration" largely because that allowed me to use the shops pool gear in the pool... instead of exposing my own personal gear to chlorine.

For open water DM course activities I dove BP/W, steel doubles, 7ft hose, etc. Snorkel was in my drysuit pocket for the entirety of those activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom