When would one choose Double AL80s over Double Steel 80s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Im sure this has been discussed but could not find...

When would one choose Double AL80s over Double Steel HP 80s?

Last edited:
LP 85's or HP 80's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for me, 75 degree (or warmer) water, which means a wet suit at most for thermal protection....

my buddy uses my al80 twinset almost exclusively as he dives wet...

If you look at this chart, you will see that depending upon which steel tanks you are talking about, the buoyancy differences range from significant to huge. If you have steel 80s and a wing failure, you may not be able to swim to the surface with those tanks. That means you will need redundant buoyancy, either in the form of a dual bladder wing (which many people refuse to use), two wings stacked (again, not what some people like to do), or a dry suit. If you are diving aluminum 80s, you should still be able to get to the surface in the event of a wing failure if you do not have redundant buoyancy.

LP 85's or HP 80's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP80s... either really... I guess. would that even make a difference. One steel vs the other as it relates to the Al80's

If I'm diving double steels, then i have to have a big enough bladder to get me to the surface. Consequently, I usually only dive them with a dual bladder wing or a dry suit.

I would choose al80's over HP80's 100% of the time because the 80's are too short. LP85's were brought up as they are more of an apples to apples comparison for size purposes. I choose LP72's where most would dive AL80's i.e. warm water wetsuit diving since they are about neutral when empty and hold a similar amount of gas but are lighter on land and require no lead. You run into issues when diving wet for 2 reasons. Tank buoyancy, HP80's from PST for example are 3.3lbs negative, so if you need ~11-12lbs of lead *7 for tanks+2 for bands+2 for manifold* then diving steels might make more sense, conversely if you are diving without a wetsuit or with a 3mm or something and you are diving in fresh water, then you would be horribly negative and that would be bad. With the LP72's it gives me 4-5lbs of ballast which is enough for me in a 5mm wetsuit in the ocean, and I don't have to carry lead.

It is all about creating the most balanced rig you can and that means you have to know how much lead it takes to sink you in both salt and fresh water for every exposure suit scenario you come across.

Most overseas dive operations rent single AL80's for recreational & sidemount as well as manifolded doubles set-ups --so if you do a lot of traveling to dive destinations worldwide, you won't have a choice.

Consequently, either get used to utilizing double AL80's here at SoCal homewaters (weighted appropriately for your exposure suit), or if you need/prefer larger double steel tanks, then go for HP100's (tanks that can be easily purchased or rented here in the States, or in Florida/Mexico Cave Country).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom