Din or Yoke Set Up - Which to go for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mockney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello and good morning,

I am very close to purchasing a new set of regs, I have my own gear but bought some of it second hand just to check I enjoyed the sport before spending vast amounts of cash on brand new stuff and then being the guy selling it all on E-bay as "hardly used" :no:.

I want to purchase the Scubapro MK25 first stage and the A700 second. They do a great black edition which I like the look of.

My question is do I buy the Yoke or DIN set up. I know this is a personal choice and DIN is more toward tech diving but what I don't want is to buy Yoke and then find I have to move to DIN at a later stage of my diving hobby.

My future plans are to hopefully achieve my master scuba certification and afterwards just enjoy diving in general, nothing too technical but I may be tempted at a future stage to try my hand at some tech diving, there are a few sites out of reach of recreational diving so I may feel the urge to train to go deeper.

So based on my ambition above should I just go for DIN now and in effect future proof my kit' or get the standard Yoke set up.

I think yoke it better because my tank is yoke, plus all dive shops use yoke etc ect (ease of use). But I am keen to hear your opinions.

Many Thanks

I got DIN and my own tanks are DIN. In my REG bag is a yoke adapter so I can easily dive Yoke if that is what they rent me. I like the secure attachment of DIN and less worry about the O-ring leaking.

I think it really depends on the tanks you will most likely use, most of the time. We often hear about yoke failures but I have been using them for hundreds of dives with zero issue.

That's just my personal opinion but I would not hesitate to use one in the recreational setting. Tech of course would be different but, truth be told, you will be buying more regs if you go that route. Most people have rec and tech sets because they often use twin tanks. I'm sure others will say DIN DIN DIN but if you find yourself perpetually using an adaptor on yoke tanks:idk:

...and most people have used use yoke regs for decades without a plethora of failures.

But, if you can use DIN regularly they are a good system.

Thanks Steve, so your use of DIN is mainly because of the connection to your tank. There is no specific reason why you need to use DIN?.

If for example I wanted to do some type of tech diving in the future does this mean you have to use DIN?.

I guess my preference is to use yoke and buy yoke because it's what I'm used too, what most dive shops use etc etc. I appreciate there is an adaptor but if I use that every time I dive I may as well just buy the correct yoke set up in the first place. I suppose I'm just trying to understand if there is an actual need to use DIN or if the choice is just a personal one?.

Thanks

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 11:09 AM ----------

Thanks for your comments Dale, that's a good point about having separate regs for Tech and Rec diving. I had not considered the fact that in tech your more likely to use double tanks so my existing set up wouldn't be used anyway.

If you use yoke valve tanks most of the time, get a yoke version reg. If you want to plan for the future, just buy the DIN conversion kit and put it up until you need it, then you or your LDS can switch the reg over.

When going tech, you will need more regs so you could just go DIN then instead.

Bob

Not sure your rental situation in Australia, here in US and in Asia, rental come in yoke 99%. If you use mainly rental tank, or you will travel for diving often, I recommend to get Yoke for single tank. What you don't want to do is to buy DIN thinking you will move to tech diving now, then have a yoke adaptor on your DIN reg 100% of the time because you are using rental. DIN+Yoke adaptor is the worst of both world.

For OW in recreation depth, the practical advantage of DIN is minimal. Later when you move to tech diving, you can buy proper DIN set later. In the world of tech diving, the cost of additional regulator is peanuts. Saving a the money of a 1st stage or even a DIN convertion kit at the expense of inconvenience of subpar setup doesn't make sense to me

I got DIN and my own tanks are DIN. In my REG bag is a yoke adapter so I can easily dive Yoke if that is what they rent me. I like the secure attachment of DIN and less worry about the O-ring leaking.

What Steve said, same for me

Not sure your rental situation in Australia, here in US and in Asia, rental come in yoke 99%. If you use mainly rental tank, or you will travel for diving often, I recommend to get Yoke for single tank. What you don't want to do is to buy DIN thinking you will move to tech diving now, then have a yoke adaptor on your DIN reg 100% of the time because you are using rental. DIN+Yoke adaptor is the worst of both world.

For OW in recreation depth, the practical advantage of DIN is minimal. Later when you move to tech diving, you can buy proper DIN set later. In the world of tech diving, the cost of additional regulator is peanuts. Saving a the money of a 1st stage or even a DIN convertion kit at the expense of inconvenience of subpar setup doesn't make sense to me

Thanks, the hire set up in Oz is the same as yours most of the time 99% its the yoke adaptor on the tanks. I like your comment about having DIN with yoke adaptor for the majority of my dives just doesn't make sense. I completely agree with you on that.

One thing to keep in mind is and I know nothing about your particular first stage but if it is an inline first stage as in main body is inline with the tank opening a fun to yoke adapter will make it stick out far enough to hit the back of your head if the body of the regulator has the din fitting coming in from the "back side 90 degrees style" you won't be as prone to hit the back of your head on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
a large percentage of tanks are din tanks with yolk plugs in them. If you are going to invest in regs just get the din's. I have had too many problems with leaky tank valves with the skinny O-rings. so many times I cant even fill them cause the whip has a sealing surface too wide for the skinny rings. I know that will spark a lot of discussion but just the same there is just no variance in din connections. They are either 200 or 300 bar valves and they work. if you have to,,,, carry a yolk converter. Make sure your regs are 300 bar regs. When you rent... tell them you need din and they will give you the tank with the pro valve's on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom