Has anyone ever used a mask mounted light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1

I have a UK mini Q40 which has a mask strap attachment, but have never mask mounted it for this reason. This might be appropriate on a "working" dive or maybe in a cave (? don't know) but likely to be more annoying than useful in most recreational situations.

dumbest idea ever. but not obviously so.

as indicated, you will blind your buddy, or anything you want to look at.

this reminds me of a research project where they proposed to use "eye guidance" to steer wheel chairs. technology worked perfectly, project was a bust. the wheel chairs kept running into things. apparently humans tend to look at things they are trying to avoid.

your light needs to be controlled independantly from your eyes/head.

One thing to consider is that this will really piss off your dive buddy, since you'll blind them every time you look at them.
I'll stick with a goodman handle, personally.

Thinking more of for night dives when you need to write something on a slate.

It would not be a light you would have turned on all of the time as it would not be bright enough, but handy to show notes, or hand signs IMHO.

Although not stated, it is probably a twist on switch - more likely BECAUSE it is not stated. This is not practical for a on again / off again use while mounted on a mask.

Thinking more of for night dives when you need to write something on a slate.

It would not be a light you would have turned on all of the time as it would not be bright enough, but handy to show notes, or hand signs IMHO.

You don't need a bright light on night dives anyway... they scare the critters back into the reef.

i use a mask mount on my ffm which is a video light to support my go pro that is mask mounted. I use this rig when i am on a work dive or a psd evidence documentation dive type dive both are essentially solo dives and augment my goodman mounted light I could not see a place for a mask mounted light if i was diving with a buddy

this reminds me of a research project where they proposed to use "eye guidance" to steer wheel chairs. technology worked perfectly, project was a bust. the wheel chairs kept running into things. apparently humans tend to look at things they are trying to avoid.
I remember while learning to drive being told to look at where you want to go, not what you wanted to not hit. They said that was because you will drive towards where you look. It turned out those old guys knew what they were talking about...

Head mounted lights are useful in certain circumstances, but not as a general solution.

Head mounted lights are useful in certain circumstances, but not as a general solution.

Yeah might be like a condom, handy when you really need it, but useless most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom