Padi Self reliant diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herb-alaska

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering about feed back from anyone that has taken this course or possibly teaches the course

I have been certified about 5 years now I have about 700 dives completed out of which about 75% of them are solo dives. I have been trained paidi through rescue except my nitrox is from TDI. I have taken the PSD paid course and am a active PSD with our local Fire Dept. I understand self rescue and redundant life support systems. I am a cold water diver with all but 25 of my dives being in Alaska Waters, I also dive at least once a week but most commonly multiple days each week

What i am wondering about is will i likely walk out after taking the Padi Self Reliant Diver course

thinking wow that had some good information to add to my knowledge / skill base
OR
will it be wow what a waste of my money.

I understand about how the person teaching the course can control how well the course comes off what i want to know is about the standards that are taught for the class

I am very comfortable in the water in all kinds of environments but i also like to continue to learn and so I am hoping that this might be a good course to have more reasons besides so that the Captain on a occasional charter trip does not have kittens over the thought of me being interested in a solo dive depending on buddies that are available

From what you have described with your experience level, I'm not so sure you will learn all that much that will be new to you. The biggest benefit might be just having the card to show someone in the future you have taken the course so you can dive solo.

I doubt you gather any significant new knowledge or skills. But it may be a good review. Thing is that self reliant is not specificaly solo. I would and did take the SDI Solo Diver course just to get the card which has served no useful purpose thus far. Did I learn anything new, no.

N

I've taught the course a number of times and if you came to me with that experience I would start a conversation and see if there was anything of value in the course that would benefit you. If not, it was a opportunity to discuss scuba. If so, then is the cost worth it.
Have a conversation with your potential instructor(s).

The benefits are in understanding and applying the principles of redundancy and self-support in scuba at a higher level. That being said the reality is IF you want it for self betterment the PADI program is great. If you want it to solo dive- then take the SDI course as it is more widely accepted as a solo dive cert.

It all depends on the instructor …… more or less like all courses

It all depends on the instructor …… more or less like all courses
What the OP really wants is an accepted solo diver card for the occasional charter dive. Since the Padi course is not really a solo course nor does it mention solo diving nor does Padi but condone solo tongue in cheek, it is a waste of money and time for the OP. The SDI states solo diver in big letters and is more accepted.

N

thanks guys for the input my potential instructor had never heard of it so i will probably pass and find a sdi course when i travel as we don't have a local one what i really want is the solo ok with out a hassle card but i would like to learn something as well because no one knows it all so it appears as if ddi is the one

thanks for the input
Herb

What i am wondering about is will i likely walk out after taking the Padi Self Reliant Diver course thinking wow that had some good information to add to my knowledge / skill base OR will it be wow what a waste of my money.
The best way to determine this is to ask yourself about your current skills:

1. Are you comfortable diving alone, for an extended period?
2. Are you comfortable deploying a lift bag - underwater - without becoming entangled in line, or 'silted out'?
3. Are your compass navigation skills proficient? Are you natural navigation skills proficient?
4. Can you swim underwater without a mask for an extended distance, without problems?
5. Do you know your SAC rate, under relaxed conditions, and under strenuous conditions?
6. Do you currently use, and are comfortable with, a pony bottle or some redundant gas supply system - beyond a Spare Air?
7. Can you plan a dive, based on a specific bottom time and depth, and you knowledge of your SAC rate, and surface within reasonable proximity to the cylinder PSI that you estimated you would have after the dive - based on the plan according to time, depth, SAC rate?

If the answer to all of these questions, or even the majority of these questions, is 'Yes', I wouldn't bother with the course. Otherwise I might. But, if the answer to one final question:

8. Is the 'potential instructor' not only familiar with, but intimately acquainted with, the PADI Self-Reliant Diver course?

Is 'No', go elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom