Diving to maximum 30 feet and Flying the same day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be diving at Jupiter Fl on the weekend and trying to eek out a BHB dive on the same day I would be flying... Ok - so I know the answer but I am really curious now...
What would you do? Would you sacrifice an extra dive at a premier site that is generally less than 30 feet or would you consider it (dive shallow and fly)?

I asked DAN and got this response -
Thank you for your e-mail and membership support. Below please find the Flying After Diving Guidelines. The criteria is straightforward. Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.
·
For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
· For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.
· For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.

Divers Alert Network

the normal / typical dive at BHB is about 2 - 2.5 hrs on a AL 80....perhaps a 1hr bottom time with 40% nitrox would allow your short fly surface interval profile.

Your AVERAGE depth could be more like 18-20 feet at BHB.

I'd probably be more concerned about the total loading from the diving on the previous days.

DAN's recommendations are conservative and safe, but there is not a huge amount of science behind them, and they did not make any effort to stratify dives by depth or pattern. From what I understand of deco theory, a single dive with a max depth of 30 feet would not worry me at all; I would be quite sure that, by the time I got out, packed gear, went back to my lodging and got my bags and went through the interminable torment that is airport check-in and security, I'd be safe to fly. Now, if it were the end of a weekend with multiple 90 foot dives conducted right to no-deco limits, I might worry a little more.

With Miami being a very short direct flight from JFK, which I presume you are flying out of, I would not take any risk... you can fly back there on a long weekend.

Reactions: RJP
I'd also be more worried about the previous days diving - depending on the profile of that.

I'd be happy with an 8 hour break before flying if I had done say 1-1 1/2 hours at less than 10 metres but not if I had made multiple or aggressive dives over the previous days as well. I will always give myself 18-24 hours, and a good rest, if I have been below 20 metres, or dived on multiple days. -
P

Let's remember tables are just theories. And every diver is individually different.

Some divers violate them without apparent harm. Others get DCS on "safe" dives. Your computer won't get bent, but you might.

Any dive table or algorithm is just a best guess, not a warranty.

Anything above 30 feet is NDL regardless of duration. The way I dive, I'd do the dive and fly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom