Using a wing set-up for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,
I am a relatively new diver, only made about 50 dives. Going for my deep diver cert this summer. Anyways, I know I want to eventually get into some technical diving later on so as I buy new equipment I have been buying it with the thought of tech diving involved. My current BC works fine and I like it but I am contemplating buying a new BC. I was wondering a couple questions, do any of you simply use your tech wings for recreational dives OR are they kind of a pain to set-up so you still use your regular BCs when doing recreational dives? Secondly, when looking to buy tech gear wing set-ups should I be looking into a single tank set-up first or go right for a double tank set-up? Yes, I know I am getting ahead of myself BUT I always keep my eyes out for good deals on NEW and USED equipment so I wouldn't mind buying a wing set-up which I may not use for a year or two. Thanks all.

As for buying gear for future tech diving, I would wait until you got closer to actually doing it. OTOH, there's nothing "tech" about a backplate and wing, and they're perfectly fine for any type of recreational diving. I can''t see any reason not to use one, and in fact, I've haven't used anything else since my OW class. There are lots of threads in the equipment section about making the actual selections, but I don't see how you can be too far off with a SS plate, 30# wing, and one-piece harness.

Ditch the BC and get a backplate and wing:D You will find it easier to maintain horizontal trim and neutral buoyancy and it will grow with you as you progress. The weight of the plate will allow you to move some ballast of you belt or BC and place it along your spine where it should be.

I bought my first backplate and wing setup when I was most definitely doing nothing but very simple recreational dives. I bought it because a friend lent it to me, and I liked it SO much better than the BC I was using, that he never got it back :). There is nothing at all more complicated about using a BP/W than some other sort of BC, once you have figured out how you are going to manage your weights. In fact, I like my backplate better than most BCs, because it has two cambands, for additional security of attachment of the tank.

I use a bp/w for all dives. It's not a "technical" thing. What you will have to pay attention to is the wing size, some will be for single cylinder and some for doubles. And you many need a single tank adapter.

As for buying gear for future tech diving, I would wait until you got closer to actually doing it. OTOH, there's nothing "tech" about a backplate and wing, and they're perfectly fine for any type of recreational diving. I can''t see any reason not to use one, and in fact, I've haven't used anything else since my OW class. There are lots of threads in the equipment section about making the actual selections, but I don't see how you can be too far off with a SS plate, 30# wing, and one-piece harness.

thank you for the info! What I meant by buying stuff while keeping tech diving in mind, is as I replace my gear I want to buy stuff which may be better suited for technical diving than what I already have.. I do realize that by the time I start tech diving, I may want to buy newer stuff than what I have, BUT at least the stuff I have will be tech capable. For example, the regulator/octo setup I got is a aqualung LEGEND DIN set-up. Yes I know there are better and yes I realize 2 years from now mine "may" be somewhat obsolete BUT at least it will be capable if I so desire. That was my only reasoning for going to a BP/wing. I was thinking of getting a newer BC anyways. If I buy a BP/Wing single tank set-up instead of a newer "regular" BC then I can start getting used to that style now AND when I start tech diving, I might be able to still use it as opposed to a regular BC.

My jacket went into retirement about 1000 dives ago. I use nothing but BP/W and long hose regulators. It is not that it is a technical configuration, it is just better in so many ways.

EGGS, they are not just for breakfast any more.

i use a wing for all my dives, and have done since about dive 20. Most of my diving is in a twinset, but i do keep a single tank wing and some cam bands around for the occasional shore dive and holiday.

I do not have any "regular BCs" so I either use none or a wing and rarely, but on ocassion, torture myself with my beloved horsecollar type.

For many a wing is regular and the other things you refer too as regular are strange contrivances.

N

A BP/wing is just another BC -- no more, no less (well, actually, maybe a lot less!).

BTW, the most complicated BCD I've ever encountered was a "technical" BCD (can't remember the brand) that had so many different adjustments it made my head spin. The poor woman who had bought it never got it right but the shop had her money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom