Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

patgrayjr

Registered
Reaction score
It seems a recurring theme that air integrated is readily dismissed by advanced and tech divers and I was wondering why. I could see it being another failure point or "crutch," but with a backup SPG the benefits outweigh the risk of failure in my mind.

Just wondering what some of the concerns with AI are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I had to do was watch two buddies' AI computers refuse to synch up at the beginnings of dives.

I can't say I've every had a problem and it is rather nice to look one place and get all the information you need. Sure one could un-clip a gauge, review it, and re-clip that gauge and get same information but that is time out of my dive. Monitoring gas is something that has to be done but why not make it as convenient as possible.

It seems a recurring theme that air integrated is readily dismissed by advanced and tech divers and I was wondering why. I could see it being another failure point or "crutch," but with a backup SPG the benefits outweigh the risk of failure in my mind.

Just wondering what some of the concerns with AI are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be interesting to see the responses. Some tech divers seem to really push their beliefs, opinions and gear choices onto everyone including recreational divers. I appreciate them sharing information, but sometimes it's a bit much when they start insulting gear choices that differ from theirs.

Well, AI isn't "necessary", because you can use a simple gauge. Many experienced divers don't like consoles, because they prefer to have their dive information on their wrists, so you're looking at a transmitter setup to get AI. Transmitters are expensive (although a lot of advanced divers dive VERY expensive computers, anyway). Transmitter-based AI setups can be awfully finicky about syncing, and if it doesn't sync, you don't have AI.

I dove with a simple SPG and a wrist computer for a long time. Recently, my husband has "corrupted" me, and put a transmitter on my single tank setup. I've had it about six weeks or so, and I'm still quite ambivalent. When it works, it's convenient. But it requires a pretty specific sequence of startup to ensure that it syncs, and I frequently forget to do things in just the right order, so I end up in the water without the information, anyway. Still not sure it's worth what it costs. Ask me again in a year!

Reactions: Jax
As pointed out if there is a backup SPG I can't see why people dislike them.

That said, I am strictly a recreational diver and have used a wireless AI computer on 80% of my almost 200 dives. I have never had a problem with synching up or a dropped signal on any of my dives. I often hear of people having the problem but I haven't experienced it nor have I seen any of the people on the boats I have been on. It wasn't too long ago that anytime anyone would mention using a computer to determine the length of dive time they were called a computer jockey or some other term. Computers are now mainstream a lot of people use them, like computers the AI option is becoming accepted by an increasing number of people.

EDIT I have an SPG in my dive bag but haven't had the need to put it on and have never had to thumbb a dive because of a failure.

Last edited:
Because it is another technology solution to a problem that does not exist. A B&G spg is stone cold reliable and cheap and needs no back up. But the guys with the AI stuff are still using a spg for when the technology goes TU which it seems to often do. I think AI appeals to a certain type/segment of the diver population, not a put down, just hardly an universal draw to someone like myself who is all about eliminating equipment, not adding it.

N

two types of AI

For AI that uses a transmitter, I recall some photog buddies apparently had problems with their flash disrupting the readings. Haven't heard those stories recently, so it might no longer be an issue.

For the other type of AI such as Suunto's Cobra, that wouldn't happen because there is no transmitter. I dive a Cobra, with a backup computer (Mosquito) on my wrist. No backup for air, but coming from the pre-SPG era, that doesn't worry me much.

"advanced" divers don't want failure points, which you've done by adding the transmitter. By failure, I mean "something that can and will drain your tank the day it blows". AFAIK the 2nd SPG is not a backup for that.
It wouldn't fit nicely on the hose routing.
You don't keep watching your spg every 3 minutes, so unclipping one is not a big deal.
Finally, those things will manage to read your buddy's air instead of yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom