5 Oceans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just started diving. In fact this past weekend I just completed confined water diving training (PADI).

I have few questions about 5 Oceans BC I am using.

1. There is no obvious place for fixing "fixed" pockets for weights. Pockets come in a bag and one is supposed to install them on their own. Obviously there is no manual to go with it and one online is not appropriate. I've put them on a tank strap (one on each side) but that doesn't look like best place to me as they slip out when you loosen the tank). So is this the right place or somewhere else? (Side comment: I mean, is it too much to ask to get decent user manual when you drop that kind of money?)

2. That clip for backup secondary sucks to say the least as it doesn't hold alternate regulator that good at all! Not to mention the place is rather odd to put it at. Is there a better way and place to put alternate regulator on this BC?

Thanks!

OK, I gave support a call. They acknowledge lack of specific manual for the BC.

The pockets for fixed weights are to be attached through those two loops on the pockets and onto tank strap on each side of the tank.

OK, I gave support a call. They acknowledge lack of specific manual for the BC.

The pockets for fixed weights are to be attached through those two loops on the pockets and onto tank strap on each side of the tank.

The idea on the fixed weight pockets is that by putting some (around 1/3 works for me) of the weight on the tank strap, it counteracts the tendency of the back inflate to push you face down on the surface. I have the Reef Rider and it works the same way.
BTW, check your other weight pockets for a generic, pamphlet-style manual (I pulled the soggy clump of paper that was my manual :rofl3: out of a pocket after my first dive!)

I just started diving. In fact this past weekend I just completed confined water diving training (PADI).

I have few questions about 5 Oceans BC I am using.

1. There is no obvious place for fixing "fixed" pockets for weights. Pockets come in a bag and one is supposed to install them on their own. Obviously there is no manual to go with it and one online is not appropriate. I've put them on a tank strap (one on each side) but that doesn't look like best place to me as they slip out when you loosen the tank). So is this the right place or somewhere else? (Side comment: I mean, is it too much to ask to get decent user manual when you drop that kind of money?)

2. That clip for backup secondary sucks to say the least as it doesn't hold alternate regulator that good at all! Not to mention the place is rather odd to put it at. Is there a better way and place to put alternate regulator on this BC?

Thanks!
One of the best things you can do is forget about the plastic hose clip that came with it and use a 2 hole silicone snorkel strap. Put it through the plastic ring the original clip is on, shove one hole through the other, yank it tight and then stick the alternate mouth piece through the other hole. Very secure and come out quickly with a yank. Hope this helps.
Tim

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding the "5 Oceans": Is it possible to attach a crotch strap to the BC?

Yes, it has a slot at bottom center of back plate the strap fits through.
Tim

The idea on the fixed weight pockets is that by putting some (around 1/3 works for me) of the weight on the tank strap, it counteracts the tendency of the back inflate to push you face down on the surface. I have the Reef Rider and it works the same way.
BTW, check your other weight pockets for a generic, pamphlet-style manual (I pulled the soggy clump of paper that was my manual :rofl3: out of a pocket after my first dive!)

I've switched it to BP/w a while ago and never looked back. Still have this BCD and contemplate selling it.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding the "5 Oceans": Is it possible to attach a crotch strap to the BC?

Yes. Not the best way but might work. It will be hard to secure it in front I think.

Yes. Not the best way but might work. It will be hard to secure it in front I think.

Why? If there is a slot in the backplate and the crotch strap has a loop one can secure it with the front belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom