Aeris Atmos AI - ALT Mode???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The first dive of a recent trip I opened the tank valve expecting to see the starting tank psi, but the AI went through the start up sequence, then went into ALT mode and shut off. I had a new battery installed by my local dive shop prior to my trip, so the battery was ok. After returning from my dives I removed the battery for 20 minutes, then replaced it and the computer worked fine for the remainder of the week. What could have caused this ?? I had to computer with me on the plane, so it wasn't dropped -- I don't have a clue. Thanks for any help -- I don't want this to happen again.

Bill

I realize this question is over a year old, but same issue just happened to me with my AI. I've pulled the battery and hope the problem will be "fixed". Anyone else have information on why this happens???

I had the same problem with my Atmos 2. In September, 2010 it went into the "ALT" mode. I was told it had to go back for service and since it wasn't under warranty I had to pay $120 for a repair/replacement unit. I did that and received a replacement. In July of 2011, the same thing happened and it was again replaced, this time under the warranty I had from the first replacement. Just this past Saturday, the same thing happened again to the replacement unit. Unfortunately it is not under warranty, and when I called Aeris customer service I was told that the Atmos 2 is no longer supported and that they can't do anything about it. I would have to buy a new computer. I am not to happy about the reliability of the computers, two replacements went bad in about one years time each. Lucky that I always carry a backup computer when diving.

If your Aeris goes to ALT mode definitely get it serviced before you dive on it. Don't play the battery game. Mine went into ALT mode just at the start of my last dive on decent at about 15 ft. It finally kicked in but it was registering 38 ft when I was at a know depth of more than 80ft. That is why you should carry a back up. (My backup also failed on this dive and I went to my $10 watch that is quick tied to my HP hose.) Triple redundancy can save a dive! :D

Back
Top Bottom