Aeris Manta LOW BAT Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased an Aeris Manta (old model) as a backup to my Elite T3.

The model is available almost everywhere now for under $250.00 so I figured it would be good insurance to have a backup in case anything ever happens to my main DC. Also it uses the same saturation/desaturation algorithm as my main unit so, technically, they should read the same after each dive. This has all turned out to be true and I have been very happy with it through two dive trips. I have to say, it also makes a nice looking vacation watch.

However, the unit reads LOW BAT in the same way others in this forum have reported. Do I need to send it back to Aeris? Has anyone been able to fix this issue?

Being an old model, the battery may just be spent from sitting on the shelf for a several years. Have you tried putting a fresh one it? Oceanic recommends only Panasonic and Sony brand batteries. I'd try that before mailing it back to Aeris.

Thanks CT. I've replaced the battery three times in the six months I've owned the Manta. I used Energizer CR2430s. I doubt the brand has anything to do with it and there is no brand recommendation in the manual.

The manual does say that a battery should last about a year or 300 dive hours. I doubt I've put 20 dive hours on it.

Anyone?

Not saying it will help, but this thread talks about the GEO (same as Manta)battery problems and talks about the Sony and Panasonic batteries. There is a post in the Oceanic forum somewhere where the Oceanic representative actually recommends Sony or Panasonic (something about rated for pulse duty) but I didn't look for it. There's a couple people in there that say that these brand batteries solved their GEO problems (and others that say it didn't matter what brand)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/309747-oceanic-geo-eating-batteries-2.html

Sony cr2430 batteries are readily available on Ebay for pretty cheap (I couldn't find any locally as back-ups for my Geo 2.0)

Did I mention the probem is intermittent (I hate that!). Usually the unit displays just fine, thenit says "LOW BAT" for a while, then just fine again.

Just replaced the battery with a SONY CR2430. I'll let you know if it did any good.

Just replaced the battery with a SONY CR2430. I'll let you know if it did any good.
How'd that go, HJeffreyM? Came out of the water today with a CHNG BTRY message on my Aeris Manta (newer version)- it's been used on 13 (warm) dives in 6 months which feels like a poor performance. Curious if the Sony battery has been doing you right.

I've had a Manta for a couple of years now, and only encountered the intermittent low bat problem on my last trip to Hawaii, however I think I have solved it. I believe it is related to moisture in the battery compartment after changing the battery in humid conditions (I note the OP mentions warm dives). I had it happen on a brand new (<1 week / 10 dive battery) right after changing on a boat in Hawaii. It would make sense, as a very small amount of moisture across the battery could lead to a lowering of the effective voltage without serious current drain, and if it re-evaporated when warm, the low voltage would disappear.

Try opening the back, and giving the battery compartment a (gentle) blast with tank air or camera table air, and/or leave the battery cover off overnight/as long as possible in a *dry* warm (air conditioned) environment (you can do this without taking the battery out and without losing data).

This has worked for me; 15 warm/cold dives and 3 weeks later, still no low bat warning from the same battery as was giving the warning every few days before.

(And of course, try to change batteries in dry conditions)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have the same problem (new model) and it drives me crazy. The moisture comment is not a problem since I live in AZ and always change the batt in dry/non humid conditions. I've prob changed the batt 6-8 times in the last 2years. Now I just ignore the low batt indicator and it seems to go away after a few minutes. Last week I ignored the low batt and it completely reset my computer. Thankfully it was right before the dive. I bought my wife the same computer (new model) and it has been fine. Still on original batt after approx 2years with no low batt indicator. I thought it was just mine until i met someone last week, on a dive, that is having the same problem. Now i find this thread. The only thing I haven't tried is a sony or pana battery. I guess I'll try that. If no luck then I'll contact the manufacturer. Thanks.

After replacing the battery with a SONY CR2430, I have had no problems with the unit. No LOW BAT indicator at all. I would go ahead and give that solution a try. Apparently, not all brands of batteries are alike when it comes to even power delivery. I have been told this is the problem with the off-brand CR2430s.

I just returned from 10 dives in the BVI and had no problems at all.

Hope this helps and Happy Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom