A quick question about the Ion AT400 regulator with dvt and swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billfrombyron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First off I want to say that I love your product, but.......

Can you show me via picture, or tell me via idiot proof English, how to set it properly for pre dive dive setup?

The manual that came with my regulator appears to be wrong. As is the manual that you posted up online. Then again I may in fact be missing something obvious which is why I am asking the question.

It tells me(online manual) to move the switch left for + setting and right for - setting. There are no markings indicating which way is what on the regulator. I will correct this with a paint marker once you show me which way for the + and which way for the -.

The directions also include a useless small picture of which even in sunlight and 20/15 vision I cannot see anything on other than A or B which isn't helpful at all. You guys produce a world class product....my suggestion for some feed back is step it up in the instructions department please! Then again I could in fact be missing something.

The directions read as follows to set up for pre dive before connecting to tank and pressurizing.....(from the included manual)

1) if present set pre dive venturi switch to -. The switch is not marked. Is this (as it is held in your mouth) up or down position?
2) if present set breathing effort adjustment knob clockwise until it clicks. Is this actually correct? It doesn't seem to be, but this may just be because of the pre dive switch.

These directions don't seem to work and cause the regulator to free flow on my second dive every time(at the surface, never while below). I looked on your web site and found the generic manual online that says the pre dive is to the right for - setting to prevent free flow, and to the left for optimum performance while diving. This regulator only moves up and down on the pre dive switch....?

http://www.diveaeris.com/PDF/12-7143-r02.pdf
Page 16, 4th paragraph.

What am I missing?

This is in no way intended to be an attack, I do love your regulator and its performance is simply sublime. I want simply to know what I am doing wrong and how to use it correctly.

-Byron

If you shine a flashlight in the mouthpiece or just get it out in the sun, look in the mouthpiece opening. Turn the tiny lever and you can see the baffel open and close. Like the choke on a carberator but it only closes off the opening a little bit.

When the baffel/venturi bar going accross, is at its widest, that's the position that helps prevent freeflows. After you start your dive you can turn the tiny lever to the other extreme for the easiest breathing.

On Apex, Aqua-Lung, Oceanic, Hollis and Aeris, I believe all the regulators are the same. With reg in your mouth, Simply rotating the lever away from you helps prevent free flows and rotating it towards you gives the easiest breathing. If you forget which is which, just look in the mouthpiece, less restricted opening = easiest breathing.

The ION's breath scary easy anyway so I find it less hassel on some dives just to leave it in the restricted position.

Tom

I will copy and paste the email that resolved this minus pics......

Hi Byron,

The first picture shows you the venturi switch in the up position which is the predive position,so if look through the mouth piece you will notice that there is a flat plate which reduces the opening of the Ion regulator reducing air flow.The second picture shows you the switch is in the down position for when your diving.Again if you look through the mouth piece you will see that the plate is at it's thinnest allowing for maximum air flow.I hope this has clarified your understanding of pre dive /dive positions,please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further queries.

Kind regards,

Justin Goss

Oceanic Australia
4 Scotch Court, Rosebud, VIC. 3939
Australia
P: 03 5986 0100
F: 03 5986 1760
M: 0408 840 002
Home - Oceanic Scuba Diving & Snorkelling Equipment & Scuba Dive Gear <http://www.oceanicaus.com.au/>

I already got the answer from Justin Goss who in my opinion should be commended! His replay was almost instant and concise. I won't post up the pics, but if the reg is in your mouth, flipping the switch UP is the predive mode, down is the dive mode. To set it up properly....

1 adjust the breathing adjustment knob until it clicks
2 flip the predive UP(as the reg is in your mouth)
3 (and most critical) BEFORE applying pressure from the tank make sure the above is done!!!!!

I have set it up now 10X since asking this question and if the above isn't done BEFORE opening the tank valve it will free flow on my regulator! If the steps above are strictly adhered to it will be the best and most wonderful reg you have ever used!

I hope oceanic/aeris is watching this thread and gives Mr Goss a award, truly he is patient and answered all my questions fully! I didn't buy my reg from him, have not ever been in his country, and he in my opinion went out of his way to take pictures and answer my questions above and beyond what I could have ever expected!

I am still waiting almost a month and a half later for my Aeris customer support email..........

-Byron

After a PM I got today, I wanted to post this up so that anyone searching this board can find clear, simple pics to answer their questions. These were taken by Justin Goss of Oceanic Australia and I hope that guy gets a real attaboy from the Oceanic and Aeris crew for his help in answering my question.

Pre Dive mode

Dive mode

-Byron

Back
Top Bottom