CompuMask 2 years later...not so much...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TechDeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
WellI was surprised to realize my only other post on this board was whinning about the terrible data connection on the mask. I actually gave up on that. I still can't believe how bad it is.

Now we have a much more serious problem....slightly over 1 month out of warranty, an electronics compartment flood. I called and pled my case, as I have hardly really used this mask in the two years I've owned it, and because of the price and my reservations about the build quality, I have absolutely babied this thing like no other piece of gear I own. Anyone could see that by looking at the mask.

I am also aware of the early flooding problems this mask had, and I personnally know a diver who got his replaced for $75. So I gave the person I spoke to on the phone my date of manufacture, but he wanted none of that. It was out of warranty, and if I wanted it replaced, it was going to be $245. End of story.

Well I have been an Aeris/Oceanic fan for at least 12 years, probably longer. For crying out loud, I still have my Atom1, and that's what kept me diving this past weekend. But I think that is all coming to an end over this Compumask fiasco. Yes, I did send the mask back, and I'm paying the $245, but I am pursuing other options because quite frankly of the way I feel I'm being treated as a (former) loyal customer.

So...when I get the new mask back, it is likely going up for sale. PM me if interested.

A PM to Doug asking for some help with this since it failed so close to the warranty period went unanswered, and I just saw where Aeris hit my debit card for $280, so I assume a new mask is on its way.

I'm done with this company. Obviously they care nothing about us folks who put our trust in them by spending our hard earned money with them and using their products.

When I get my new mask, it will be up for sale. Brand new mask, all accessories and the box it came in, $700. Get it before it hits water, or goes up on eBay. I'll list it in the classifieds section when I have it in hand. I do take some solice that I will continue to extract a measure of revenge working with students by simply sharing this story with brand new divers over and over and over again, and letting them make up their own minds about what they think about that. I hope Aeris spends that $280 well, because it's the last money they will see from me, and every new student I work with if I can help it.

Sad to see what used to be a good company treat folks this way, but I am looking forward to my Mares icon HD that I ordered from Scubtoys! They shipped it the same day I ordered it!

Good input - I was thinking of ordering one - any update since that time. Did you sell the new one

Jake - I used the mask one time to check it out, and it appears to be working fine, except I was sad to see that they have not improved the connector for connecting to the computer. I still haven't been able to get that to work at all, same as with the old mask. I'm still amazed that this company has been able to get away with this obvious defect.

I like the heads up display. I don't like the poor build quality, and it's obvious that this company is not interested in supporting their products. I'm on the fence about selling. I've got so much money tied up in a toy, that I would take a beating if I sell, and then I would have to turn around and invest more money in making my icon hd air integrated.

When I work with students, this mask is the hit of the party. So far, after hearing my story, no student has been willing to pay the outrageous price for this or any other Aeris/Oceanic product.

Back
Top Bottom