Disappointed in Aeris service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Below is a marginally altered version of a letter I sent to Aeris expressing my disappointment with their service approach to my situation. It's not the worst service I've ever experienced, by far, but neither does it reflect my expectation for good service. I thought it potentially useful for others considering this product in particular, or other Aeris products in general. No reply has been forthcoming from Aeris.
-----
To whom it may concern,
I returned my Aeris Manta wrist computer to my retailer for a Low Battery warning. Given the newness of the item- 6 months of use- the warning seemed unexpectedly soon, and I wanted Aeris to service to ensure it was not defective. The item was returned on 7/27/2011. On 9/22/2011, I received a replacement Aeris Manta wrist computer from the retailer with the note "Mfg replaced computer under warranty".

My original purchase was described as used, however before I purchased, I confirmed with the retailer that it was effectively new. Indeed it arrived in deep sleep mode, and had no signs of ever being removed from the box. This was the best condition one could hope for in a "used" computer.

In contrast, the replacement device is well used with permanent stains, scratches on the body, and discoloration of the white parts. And oddly enough, out of the box the strap had a perfume scent that seems unremovable. Aeris did return to me my original strap, so I will deal with the smell shortly.

I am writing because I do not believe Aeris has effectively replaced like for like. You have replaced a like-new condition computer with a computer that has seen enough use to scratch, discolor, and absorb odor. While these are essentially aesthetic flaws, I honestly have reservations about its performance. The serial number sticker on the underside of the computer shows that while it was recently updated, the original date is from March of 2008- almost 3 years older than my original.

If my wife and dive buddy did not also use a Manta, I would have no reservations selling the device and replacing with a unit from a different manufacturer. Neither the original service problem nor this latest disappointment is the fault of the retailer. However, I have sent a similar letter to my retailer to inform them of my experience and strong displeasure with the Aeris' action.

In this situation, I would expect Aeris to make a repair to my original device. Or failing that, to make a good-faith replacement of comparable condition; that is, lightly used and of recent manufacture.

Regards,
Amw 5G

While the details of your issue are different from mine, I also experienced the "no response" from Aeris service. Very poor service indeed. I have 2 Aeris computers, but my latest was a Mares, and I love it. The best thing about Mares is they actually respond to any issue I have ever brought up with them. Aeris has gotten their last nickel from me, and I openly share my experiences from Aeris service with any student or newly certified diver I come in contact with, which are many.

I'm sure the business it ends up costing them is not even a drop in the bucket, but it makes me feel better.

You should have also posted this in the Oceanic Forum. Likely to get more response there. But then again I have not seen Doug on for awhile. Nick Hollis could also get a message through.

My primary intent is to provide my experiences for other consumers. While a response from the manufacturer would be nice, they have clearly indicated that ship has sailed..

Sad to hear of your displeasure with Aeris. I have owned both an Oceanic and now Aeris CPs and have had nothing but exceptional service with them. Especially when the items were sent back through the retailers where I purchased them. One was a battery issue.. See below.. Other was a backlight failure. New battery replaced at cost of battery and $8 shipping. Second, was replaced with new CP. No questions asked.

As to the short battery life... If your CP has a wet activation and is stored wet and unable to completely dry it will remain on and use the battery up with in 6 months. Found that out the hard way with mine. After replacing the battery and being sure the CP was completely dry before storage the battery is going on its 2nd year with regular use.

I would return to your retailer of purchase and explain your situation. Often all it will take is a call from them for you to get satisfaction.

Good idea, Some X Dry. In fact, that's what I did. They issued me a return and handled the process entirely themselves. And as I mentioned in my letter to Aeris, I let my retailer also know of my displeasure as well.

The problem could perhaps have been humid conditions. I did take pains to towel dry after rinsing, and then kept the computer away from items that might absorb water. However, I'm in Florida and even with the A/C running, we do get humidity. If that were the case, wouldn't that have just necessitated replacing the battery instead of the whole device? Heck, I'd have gladly paid the cost to do that. In retrospect, I wish I'd just assumed it was truly a weak battery and simply requested a swap.

I use canned air to completely dry my DC and any gear that has areas that are hard to dry (e.g. dive knives). A burst of a second or two eliminates any residual water.

Jim

Have you called them on the phone? I bet if you do, they will take care of you. Try it and post back your luck.

You should have also posted this in the Oceanic Forum. Likely to get more response there. But then again I have not seen Doug on for awhile. Nick Hollis could also get a message through.

I think the silence just in this forum speaks volumes. They simply do not care and that's their right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom