Elite T3 still a good computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTro

Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in the general computer forum but I thought Id try it here too.

I have seen the Aeris Elite T3 for some pretty decent prices like over half of the new Oceanic VT4. I realize the new VT 4 has a few more features but since the Elite 3 is the same as the VT3 it should be pretty much the same as the VT4 without the dual algoritim and compass, right?

That being the case, is the Elite T3 still a servicable computer assuming its new with warranty?

Thanks

I am a new Diver but have this model. It works well and I like it. It is a little complicated at first but I think that has more to do with me being a new diver. Once I figured it out it was actually very easy to use. I have not had any issues with the wireless transmitter and the software that comes with it was easy to use as well. One thing that it does do that I find odd is when I got back from vacation and went to soak it in the sink, with the wet activation on it turns on and logs a dive with 0 degrees and no minutes. So it shows a phantom dive. it is not really an issue it just show an extra dive that is not really a dive in the dive log.

Wife and I both have these; upgraded from the Aeris Atmos Ai a year ago.

No problems, no loss of signal, and easy to transition to since it is like our old computers

I've had the T3 for over a year now with 60 dives on it. I'm not a Techie so many of the features are not needed, but they don't get in the way either.

My issues are mainly with the download function: The USB cable makes a poor connection to the DC so I need to wiggle it just right and hold it in a fixed position with positive pressure while it does the download .. and hope I don't wiggle the wrong way resulting in an aborted or erroneous download. I consider this unacceptable.

I've had strange downloaded dive profiles including something called "passed 60ft delay violation". If someone can explain what that is, I'd appreciate it. Most of my dives are much deeper than 60ft, but these violations occur almost randomly. At other times, I see a dive profile with very strange depth readings. For example: a sudden jump from 35ft to surface then back to 35ft again (no violation). I even have one that goes from 20ft to surface to 55ft back to surface again, then back to 35ft where I actually was (also no violation). That said, I don't remember seeing funky display readings while diving so I think this is an issue with the dive download function.

Actual use is fine. I'm deaf at high frequencies so I can't hear the alarm. But then I can't hear alarms on most dive computers anyway.

Be aware that the tank pressure transmitter battery wears out rather fast. I get about two or three dives before it starts dropping out. The reading comes back usually within a minute but sometimes I have to put my hand behind my head for a few seconds to get a reading. I've learned to keep checking it often. I love not having that extra hose and hanging gauge! Less stuff to deal with is better.

@ad63 - Send the computer and transmitter back for warranty service make sure you attach a copy of the 60ft delay violation with the computer. My transmitter will last 2 or 3 years and that with almost hundred dives a years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom