Epic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I can't get the transmitter and watch to link up.
I've changed both batteries.
I've tried opening and closing the valve (full tank), purging the reg.
Can this have anything to do with a firmware update to the watch if such a thing exists.

Thank you in advance.

If you update the watch the code maybe incorrect.

I never did any update to the watch.
I did get them to link together at the dive site on Saturday, however, during the dive the watch kept loosing its link to the transmitter. This just started happening this season.
My plan is to use it in gauge mode as a back up timer and to log gas consumption for reference.

Most likely your transmitter is not functioning correctly if it keep losing link.

If at all possible try linking your computer up with a different transmitter to narrow down the issues. Also if you are losing link on the dive it might just be out of range. Remember to check the grafic in the owners manual to see the angle it transmits in. I sometimes lose link on my atom when I cross my arms.

If at all possible try linking your computer up with a different transmitter to narrow down the issues. Also if you are losing link on the dive it might just be out of range. Remember to check the grafic in the owners manual to see the angle it transmits in. I sometimes lose link on my atom when I cross my arms.

Good point, I normally wear it on the right with the transmitter off the right post, this time I wore it on the left but with the transmitter still on the right. That may be the reason. Next dive I'll switch the watch and note what happens.
I find it odd that the setup is this sensitive, I can only imagine using a second and third transmitter to track buddies, you'd have to be joined at the hip for this to work.

Try to replace batteries in transmitter, they might be running low

After 4 years of using the Epic, I can honestly say I HATE it.

I too have lost links many times and it was usually the batteries, but occasionally I had to manually enter codes to get them to link up. It seemed like the batteries were always dying in less than a few months, reguardless of where I bought them. The instruction manual takes a Computer Science degree to remotely understand. Luckily I had a SPG and saved a dive trip more than once. My daughter doesn't like hers either and she is the most easy going person. Now I use a Cobalt as my primary DC and use the Epic only for redundancy. I like the wrist mount, but not the other headaches that comes with using and setting this thing (push button M 4 times then button S 5 times then set blah blah blah...).

BTW...the Cobalt took 20 minutes to read the instruction manual and I still can run the computer after 2 years. Just waiting on a wrist/AI Atomic DC to be developed (it is in the works now).

Back
Top Bottom