Velocity 3X versus Acel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have (and love) a pair of Velocity 3X fins. The only drawback is the weight and length when traveling by plane. I'm seriously considering geting a pair of Acel fins which are much shorter and lighter. I'm wondering if anyone can give me a comparison of the two models in terms of performance (and anything else) to help me decide?

Seriously????? There isn't a single Aeris rep or employee that can compare/contrast the performance of these two fins? Wow!!!!! Gives me a lot of confidence in Aeris - not.

Hi Kharon. We've run the Accel through a series of objective and subjective tests against a variety of competitive models and types of fins. The Accel outperforms most fins in terms of thrust, speed, maneuverability and efficiency. I've used the X3 for a variety of diving - local, travel, even some light freediving. It's a great all around fin - plenty of power and works well with a variety of kick styles. I find that there are no compromises with the smaller and lighter Accel - it's thrusty and fast when I need it to be, easy on the legs and ankles when cruising. Our guys in customer service asked me the same questions this morning - I've asked them to pass on your contact info, please feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to discuss it further.

Thanks for the response. Just the information I needed. I'm going to order a pair once I submit this post. I love the idea of shorter & lighter. I was just worried about a performance penalty. Since there is none they should be perfect.

What size are the posts?, I'm thinking about giving a pair a try but would like to swap out the strap for bungees straps either Mares (smaller) or ScubaPro (larger) as I will need to buy online would like to if possible know what bungees will fit. Thanks.

I switched to springs and then back. The stock straps are as strechy as springs and lie flat so they cause less turbulance. I just had to get used to the different way of getting hold. The posts are standard size (5/8" post and 3/4" head).

After a bunch of use I am switching from my Velocity's to the Accel's. I dove Lake George with a buddy and found it more than easy to keep up with him. Actually I had to hold back a bit and he knew the site and was leading the dive.

We've sent a pair on one of our dive trips to Curacao and so far the response has been very positive from our experienced divers. I believe several of them are planning on purchasing the fins! I am looking forward to trying them out soon.

Back
Top Bottom