Best mode to use on a300 CS OLED (NORM, GAUG or DIVE)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I just got an Oceanic VTX, which (I believe) is essentially the a300 CS OLED (?).

Prior to my first dive next week, I am wondering which of the modes are best suited or rather most commonly used:
  • NORM (Dive)
  • GAUG
  • DIVE

I hope that this question makes sense as, from my understanding, each mode displays different information. It is somewhat tricky to figure out each which mode displays 'most important' info by just reading the manual.

Since it have not used the computer, I am wondering what other user experiences are.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

---------- Post added November 15th, 2014 at 09:40 PM ----------

I just read through the PDF manual instead of the little booklet and I think my question really does not make much sense.

Apologize about any confusion.

Well youneed to read about just what these modes are.

Look on page 10 of the manual. the main modes are normal gage and freedive

Thank you KWS.

I read through the actual manual now and it is much clearer.

Was a bit overwhelming at first and only with very limited and theoretical information.

Now, I can not wait to put the VTX to the test.

Thanks again.

As AI goes my views of it has changed over the years. I see it has a very real purpose however,,It is some what of a crutch. I have abandoned the AI route but do accept its value. I now use a sherewater. My position on AI is not founded in sherewaters lack of AI. It has become my opinion that there is only so much information that is needed to dive with. AI related info is not among the nessessary list of vital data. I have an SPG that gives me that. I do accept AI and am unable to discount the value of AI when it coes to post analysis of a dive. To down load the dive info and see air consumption in respect you your profile is usefull. Especially for a newer diver the knowledge of consumption vs depth and determining SAC can only be accurately done with live data. I think that after a while the data provided is no loonger of intrest cause it does not change to any degree. If i were to use one now it would be strapped on as a dive data recorder and used as a backup computer if anything. For those that dive far from a squareish profile the data is not very usefull. For those that want to know how much air time you have for a depth it is usefull but if you hav 1000 psi in the tank you have no real need to know hte precise amount. It is not needed if you are a technical kinda of diver. By that i mean that you are one with physics of the dive. " Cut your ambient pressure in half and the tank lasts twice as long. If you are at 100 ft and you are using 100# per minute then at 30 you will use 50# per minute. Then there is the issue of time remaining on the computer. The knowledge to determine the reason for the time limit (air, ndl, O2) ect is no more than what it takes to determine time left based on your SPG. I have over time grown to appreciate the simplicity of a minimalistic display and not needing alarms to tell me that an alarm is sounding and then there is the problem of from who's computer. Depth, depth change rate ,time to ndl, various clocks, and deco data. You know the info that is needed to get the imediate job done. The job of safely gettting back to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom