Looking at the Jetpack. Thoughts...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just phil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

im looking at the Jetpack setup for travelling. I'm really taken with the idea of not having to check anything at the airport (that's right, I'm one of those "carry on only" guys).
Ive done the standard searches on here & read about the tank lift problem. But all of the posts seemed to be a year old or older without anyone posting if this problem had been corrected.
Just wondering where things stand.

i appreciate any information you guys want to share...

Merry Christmas!
Phil

I am not Aeris of course, but I think it's an interesting concept. I have no personal experience with the setup, but I do feel it would definitely be an interesting item to try if I stumbled upon one.

Merry Christmas!

I admit it sounds like a cool idea. That being said, IMHO they are solving a non-problem.

I have always taken my dive gear carry on - first it was a Zeagle Scout, now its an AL BP&W. I pack them in a heavy-duty mesh duffel bag. The benefit of the "extra" mesh dufffel bag is that, if airline regulations change, I can simply get a new (and cheap) duffel bag.

On another note the Jetpack comes with an Air-2 like octo. Have you ever tried to breathe off one of those when the $h!+ has hit the fan?! The hose is not long enough. It might save you a few ounces in weight but I really recommend using a proper octo on a proper-length hose.

Finally, the wing appears to have bungies on it - IMO this poses the risk of trapping air unless you are perfectly vertical (or inverted).

I admit it sounds like a cool idea. That being said, IMHO they are solving a non-problem.

I have always taken my dive gear carry on - first it was a Zeagle Scout, now its an AL BP&W. I pack them in a heavy-duty mesh duffel bag. The benefit of the "extra" mesh dufffel bag is that, if airline regulations change, I can simply get a new (and cheap) duffel bag.

On another note the Jetpack comes with an Air-2 like octo. Have you ever tried to breathe off one of those when the $h!+ has hit the fan?! The hose is not long enough. It might save you a few ounces in weight but I really recommend using a proper octo on a proper-length hose.

Finally, the wing appears to have bungies on it - IMO this poses the risk of trapping air unless you are perfectly vertical (or inverted).

Actually the Jetpack doesn't come standard with the Air-2. It is an optional extra.

Apparently the Jetpack has issues with the BC riding up when the tank is empty. It needs a crotch strap. And they have stopped making it.

You might look at the dive caddy it is a little overpriced but it looks like a good option I am going to try one next year for my Bahamas trip.

The Jetpack has moved into the Oceanic line. With the rebranding, they also made changes to it to fix the problem with it floating up. I have dove the original Aeris one and a test sample of the new one that will be coming out. The new one was greatly improved and fixed all the issues I had with the original. I can't wait to get my new Oceanic one!

I have one, the original, and the tank floating up is a major problem. I'm glad to hear that the new Oceanic one will fix those issues. Wish I had waited. I will say the detachable backpack is a really nice dry bag/backpack.

Here is my suggestion:

HOG 32# wing (OP lives in Canada, might one day dive in 9mm suit needing significant weight): $260
AL backplate (designed so that a single tank adapter is not required): about $140
2 x stainless scuba bolts (not necessary but will keep wing from shifting when changing tank: $20 (for two)
Dive Rite basic harness: $40
Two cam straps for tank: $50 (for two)
Weight pockets and belt slides to keep them in place: variable

Total: $510 (+weight pockets and belt slides)

Add in shipping, taxes, etc..

Hmmm... If the "new and improved" Oceanic version fixes the tank lift problem, I will wait a couple of months to see what shakes out.

---------- Post added December 23rd, 2014 at 06:29 PM ----------

Here is my suggestion:

HOG 32# wing (OP lives in Canada, might one day dive in 9mm suit needing significant weight): $260
AL backplate (designed so that a single tank adapter is not required): about $140
2 x stainless scuba bolts (not necessary but will keep wing from shifting when changing tank: $20 (for two)
Dive Rite basic harness: $40
Two cam straps for tank: $50 (for two)
Weight pockets and belt slides to keep them in place: variable

Total: $510 (+weight pockets and belt slides)

Add in shipping, taxes, etc..

i'll be honest, Crush. I had not even thought of going this direction. Mainly because I've never used one.
Now you've given me something to research...
Thanks

Cheers
Phil

p.s. I will NEVER need a 9mm suit...

i'll be honest, Crush. I had not even thought of going this direction. Mainly because I've never used one.
Now you've given me something to research...
Thanks

Cheers
Phil

p.s. I will NEVER need a 9mm suit...

Hey phil,

You're right - get a drysuit for Canadian diving. :)

I did my BOW course in a "jacket" style BC and hated it - when fully inflated it pressed in on me, making it hard to breathe.

I bought a rear-inflate BC, a Zeagle Scout. Nice, light rig. I dove it for about 50 dives then got a backplate and wing (BP&W) because it was mandatory for a course tht I was about to take. After switching to the BP&W I sold my Scout and remain a BP&W diver. There are many pro-BP divers here on SB, some of which border on fanatical.

There weren't many dive shops where I used to live. When I asked them about brining in a BP&W the response I received as something like "Oh, so you want to be a tech diver?" I am not sure if they were being sarcastic but it seemed like it. What I took home from the exchange is that dive shop owners who don't deal with BP&W divers regularly might have met a few arogant jerks and have a bad impression. That, plus they want to move what they have in stock and fulfil sales volume obligations with manufacutrers that they normally deal with. Don't let a scuba shop talk you out of a BP&W if that is what you decide to get.

"Conventional" BC or BP&W, either way is fine. I prefer BP&W for a number of reasons. I would simply suggest that "less is more" - you don't need tons of pockets, integrated weights and cable retractors everywhere. My rig fits nicely into my carry-on.

Cheers,

Crush

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom