Diving in the Quirimbas of Northern Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyafrica

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I been doing some serious reading through the boards trying to decide where I want to do my next liveaboard (Raja Ampat or Maldives) and I saw how little information there is on Northern Mozambique diving. Not too surprising given how desolate and undeveloped that part of the world is.

I worked in South Africa for a few years and traveled all around Africa when I was done with my job and was lucky enough to travel all around Mozambique.

I'll keep it short but the Quirimbas Archipelago may be one of the last ocean paradises left in the world, still untouched by tourism, with the nicest beaches I've ever seen (and I've seen many). It's not easy to get to these parts, and unless you're willing to slum it a bit, it's not going to be cheap staying here either. Nevertheless, if you do make it up to these parts, the diving is something special.

I spent a week on Ibo Island and dived with the Ibo Island Lodge a few times. To date, these were still the most beautiful corals I've ever seen. I've dived in Cozumel, Honduras, Dahab, Sodwana Bay, Madagascar, and Tofo. None of these compare to what I saw in the Quirimbas. There isn't much megafauna to speak of but the conditions of the corals, the colors, and the incredible amounts of fish make this place a worthy place to visit. Not only is the diving top notch, but the beaches will blow you away with how pristine and most importantly, completely deserted they are.

Hopefully this post will help would be travelers in the future!

Are there any photos?

I checked some websites but nothing jumped out at me - images show sort of below-average looking reefs (my average). I've dived Caribbean, then Indonesia, Solomons, Philippines, Fiji, etc. and finally Raja Ampat for 16 years now, and don't know any place that beats R4 for the variety of corals, fishes and critters.

Nevertheless I'm looking for some new places to try. The resort & beaches look nice, but that isn't why I go diving.

Hi, thanks for posting!

We are thinking about snorkeling in Mozambique in April 2017 (conference in South Africa then). How are conditions that time of year?

We are looking for fantastic coral and fish in shallow water. An expensive place is OK. More so if it is relatively easy to get to (or at least if the resort helps you with arrangements). Ability to get great shore snorkeling as well as boat trips a real plus!

We are in our 60s and this would be probably our only trip to Africa.
We have snorkeled the Outer Great Barrier Reef several times, Hawaii, Caribbean. We are avid snorkelers but cannot dive for medical reasons.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom