Anyone dive Caesarea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone here dove Caesarea? Can you give a short summary of what to expect?

The visibility in the Mediterrenian is not that good. Should be about 5-10 meters maximum, as far as I know.However, I had 1 dive in Naharia with the viz of at least 20 meters (a missile boat). If you are interested in shipwrecks then there are some near Haifa (including Scire) and near Tel Aviv/Ashdod/Ashkelon.

In Israel diving in the Mediterrenian is mostly wrecks.

Caesaria is quite shallow(no more than 10 meters, generally), and doesn't have a very good viz.....

I live in Texas. If I find 10ft of vis, I'm happy.

I'll be in Tel Aviv and only have a weekend to spend so I'm lookng for something I can reach and rent gear for a day trip.

Wrecks are also good. Do you know any websites or dive operators I should look into for a day trip if I start out in Tel Aviv?

If there is any way you can spend more time and get down to Eilat - the diving there is pretty awesome. In Eilat I recommend AquaSport. You can also go with them across the boarder for even better diving. But the Red Sea supposedly has some of the best diving in the world. What I've seen of it is pretty cool.

Sorry - I don't have any info on your original Q. :(

I've heard you can dive Ceasrea as it is now an underwater museum but have no more details. I've tried searching the Net without any luck. I was there a few years ago walking through the ruins on land, but would think current may be an issue. There must be a dive shop that works with the museum. If anyone has more info that would be great. Oh, I 'll take 5 meters of vis. I was in Koh Samet Thailand this past weekend with a weak 2 meters of vis. Some scuba is better than no scuba:)

hey arizona!
ceasarea is a really nice place to dive on a good day, and if you are coming in the next month, chances are you will have some great days for diving, as this time of year oct, is the best time for diving in the east coast of the med.
the diving is in an old roman port, that over the years was coverd by the sea..
water temp should be 25-26 c' and viz should be good, although you never know.... as for currents, there arent any.
here is the site of the diving center in ceasarea, which is in the middle of the old port (the part that is stil ABOVE the water..)
have fun & say hey to the sea, in my "home beach" since i havent been there for 7 monthes...
http://www.caesarea-diving.com/ note!! the english site is under construction, go in the hebrew site, the last icon (bottom) on the right, is contact, you have there an email adress, you can write them...
thats about it, if you have any more questions, dont hessitate to ask!

Dakar,

What a great site. I can read a little Russian. Seeing the mix of Russian & Hebrew is quite cool. Talk about assimilation. I have no immediate plans, but will keep the October time frame in mind. I was there in December 2004. I remember seeing strong waves breaking on the shore and thought current may be an issue. Do they offer an intro for non-divers? I am experienced (AOW), but this may be a good opportunity to introduce my father in law. Thanks for the reply. Are there other dive sites in Israel outside the Red Sea worth looking into?

Arizona

well, its abit of a problem...
yes there are really nice diving sites in the med, in isreal, but, and it is a very big but, good diving days are rare... we say that in the med you dive when ever you can, not when you want to.....
as for sites, you have the "shira" an italain sub, from wwII, in haifa. 40 min from ceasarea.
you have the "kidon" an israeli missile ship, sunked as a memorial site for the israeli naval commando, an hour north of ceasarea.
and many more, i'm just more into free diving, so i take my bike and go to the nearest beach (400 m) to my house..

about intros, im not sure but i think they can do it..
as a matter of fact very few israelis dive the med so who ever gets there, welcomed.
as for the red sea, i DO NOT recomend diving in eilat!!! if you want to dive the red sea, go to sinai, its a LOT better and a LOT cheaper!!! eilat is all packed with divers, i dont bother to wet my gear down there....
if you do get nice days in the med its lots of fun!! in the winter you also get good days but its a little bit cold (16-17 c)
well i hope i'v been usefull...
enjoy israel anywas!!!
if you will dive ceasarea, dont miss the "Helena" restaurent right next to the diving center.... you won't regret it.

Thanks! I am saving your advice in a word file. Next time in Eretz I'll be sure to look into diving Ceaserea and Haifia. Is there a dive shop in Haifa you recommend?

the one i knew was just closed.... diving centers in the med need to "survive" the winter inorder to work as much as possible during summer time..... this summer haifa was bombed by our nice friends in the north.... so no one was diving there this summer& they had to close down... well, we'r still in the middle east...
but i'll keep an eye open to see whats going on!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom