How's the diving in Doha Qatar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aku321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'll be out near Doha, Qatar next summer as was wondering what kind of diving is in the area? If there are any boat charters and which ones are recomended? Any other info about boat diving or shore diving? What are the risks (if any) a group of americans going into town looking to dive. We will be traveling from Al Udeid so info on how to get around would be helpful also. Ok, I think I covered everything.....until I hit the post button.

Thanks.

vis is no so great due to the silt people :D

In Al Udaid there is a small reef we usually dive (~50 km from Doha)

also to the north of Udaid there is a man-made wreck (buses, cars, small boats...) that is good for training/fun dive.
marine life is not so rich but sometimes we get lucky to encounter wandering remoras, turtles, barracudas.
more info here

So not really worth draging all my gear half way across the world?

up to you, but if you're planning to dive here I'd say bring it; rental here is very crappy quality & highly charged, leave the tanks though.

Diving in Qatar is not good, there is a man made reef at Mesaieed, old cars and boats sunk in about 16m, tied togther with rope so you can find your way from one to another, which tells you something about the visibility, if you can see 6m, that's good! Kit out here is very expensive and you dont always get much choice, and the rental gear is poor, as are the fill levels if you dont check them. As for safe for Americans, you know the rules, keep you mouth shut, and if challenged, pretend to be Canadian! (Seriously, absolutley no problems here, and like anywhere, discretion and respect for the locals pays divdends, they are all very polite and well mannered)
Apart from Mesaieed there is a very small amount of boat diving, about 3 sites, but finding a decent skipper is tricky. You could join the BSAC club in Doha, 2000 QAR P/A, but they seem to prefer training to diving! Rob

My partner is moving to Qatar, so I'll probably spend some months there, when the season here in Thailand ends.......

Where do you guys go for really good diving???

boat excursions; also Musandam in Oman is not too far

Hello ,diving in Qatar is not bad but Qatar is not a world class diving destination ,however if you are staying for few month diving will be some thing nice to do , it is about the preparation and freedom of motion ,only you and your self for some time underwater and with friends on the boat or the beach. read the links below for more information

Regards

Qatar fast emerging as a dive destination

Tourism & Hospitality | Bilateral US-Arab Chamber Of Commerce

QatarMarine | Scuba diving organization in Doha Qatar. is a truly unique organization. As a completely independent consulting body, we owe allegiance strictly to our clients. | Poseidon MK6 Rebreather

Khaled Zaki
QatarMarine | Scuba diving organization in Doha Qatar. is a truly unique organization. As a completely independent consulting body, we owe allegiance strictly to our clients.

Back
Top Bottom