Archeological Diving Caesarea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning to go to Israel this fall and stumbled upon this website:

Underwater Archeological Park

I was curious if anyone has dove with these people or done anything like that? We won't have time to make it down to Eilat so this is our main opportunity to get wet.

For those who have done it, I imagine the vis is poor (10-20 ft) but is it interesting stuff you see? What is the water temp at the end of Nov? I'm a cali diver so can handle cold though don't love it :wink:

Also they mention you have to have a stamped dive within the past 6mths - how strict is that? I usually just go with my wife and the most we will do is sign each others books...

Thanks,

bg

That would be pretty cool to dive. Mediteranean temperatures at depth get a bit warmer the closer to the African/Middle East coast you get but November is gonna be a bit chilly no matter where you are in the Med. I've dived/spear fished for years off the west coast of Italy near my home town of Civitavecchia and I'm allways got a 5mm with hood/gloves/boots on and have seen 65F at depth. Dived in Cyprus in June and a bit warmer but still was comfortable with a 5mm and hood. So I'm guessing Isreal in November will probebly require a 5mm with hood/gloves/boots as well. I think you'll be fine with that.

I did a lesser Archeological dive off my home town coast near where Emperor Nero actually had a summer villa, a place called "Boca De Nerone". There was thousands of bits of potery just about 300-400meters off the coast line in about 16ft of water. There really never is a current in that area so potery was pretty much still exposed with little crap on it. Most of the potery I was told came from shipping lanes from Spain, N. Africa & Egypt.

The two Archeologist from Rome I dove with offered me the free tank because they were friends with my Aunt so I was a guest to their expedition. A Spanish reporter was there too and I just helped find and pick some potery. Later they brought some back to a museum in Rome.

We also found the top part of a Roman Anchor that day. Never know what you'll find diving in the Mediteranean Sea.

Hey BennyS
November is an very good time to dive in our area of lake med. The water temp are just more or less starting to drop so you should not have any problems as far as that is concern. The depth is no more than 7-8 meters and visibality 10-20 meters not feet. It all depends on the weather. November is the begining of the winter and it could rain. Ceasaria is a nice dive I've been diving there on a number of occiasion and there is a good diving outfit at the site. You have to dive with a guide and you get a map explaining what you will see {you with the map and you get an explaination before hand}.
Enjoy
Rauven Schneider

I've been to Caesarea. I was there during the October three years ago and the Temp wasn't bad. Vis was great by my standards (Puget Sound). To tell the truth I found the shore side of Caesarea much more interesting but as you say it is not everyday you get to dive something built by King Herod.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like something that is worth doing if it fits in time wise but not necessarily run out of the way to do.

Is the link I mentioned the only guide that goes, or do you know of others? Those were the only ones I could find...

Thanks,

bg

The diving center at your link is the only one there. I've dived there few times, the dive site is nice if you have only few free hours and you want to dive, but even the Mediterranean has better dive sites then it.
You have to show proof of diving in the past 6 months, and unless you are DM or very exprinced diver, it`s strict. you also have to show proof of valid diving insurance.

Thanks for the info - that's good to know...We will play by ear but may skip it since we will not be around for awhile...

As a certified diver you it is not necessary to dive with a guide- only if you like. You can probably get information and recommendations from the counter about which route to dive etc. It is an easy, shallow shore dive- if the sea conditions are fine, which nobody can tell so far in advance...

There is only one dive club in Caesarea, the one you linked. Unless you have DM (or equivalent), you will be required to show "proof if diving within last 6 months". They may be satisfied by your mutual signatures in your logbooks, they may ask for a "real diving club stamp".

You will be required to have a diving insurance (which you can buy at the dive club).

If you have a few days to spare diving in this area, you may try volunteering to the archeological underwater excavations in Dor Beach (not far from Caesarea)- it is a different type of experience much more rewarding than simply diving an archeological site!

I think you may get more info here:

???? ???????????? ????? - ?????????? ???? | Facebook

http://hcc.haifa.ac.il/Departments/maritime/english/index.htm

Try contacting and see if they have anything scheduled for the time of your visit...

Shalom bennyscuba! I've done the Caesarea dives so I can confirm certain pieces of information and share my experiences:

1) There is only one dive center there, but they're a good operation.
2) It's a shallow dive (under 30 feet) with direct entry (not a boat dive)
3) Visability depends on current, at best it's 30-50 feet.
4) Sometimes the current can be strong (my 2nd dive there I actually felt seasick UNDERWATER)
5) You'll need a 3mm full at least, but more likely a 5mm.
6) Israel is VERY strict about their dive regulations; in general they won't let you dive without a DM unless you have AOW certification or 25+ dives logged and stamped. In Casearea, I believe you are required to use their guide because it's a historical preservation site. They WILL make you do a refresher if you can't show a stamped dive in the past 6 months. You MUST bring proof of insurance or you can purchase short term 5 day insurance from the dive club.
7) You have to understand Caesarea isn't a "pleasure" dive where you see the beautiful colors, reef creatures and magnificent fish that you'd see in the Red Sea. Depending on weather conditions, it can be a rough dive. It is, however, a unique and worthwhile dive; it's certainly a memorable one from a historical and archeaological point of view. If you have the opportunity to dive Casesarea, you won't regret the experience. It's the kind of dive you'll talk about when others ask you, "What's the most interesting dive you've ever done?"

Good luck and enjoy your stay in Israel.

Thanks for the great info. I think it will be something that we "play by ear" and see if it can work out b/c it does sound like a neat experience...

bg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom