Where do I need to go for Africa's best diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shafan1234

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

I am planning a two week trip probably to Africa in October/November of this year. I am looking for recommendations on where to dive... i am looking for the BEST OF THE BEST.. and ultimately i am not overly concerned of the country's security (i have dived in a semi war zone before).

At the moment my list is: Mozambique or Madasgcar.

And my other questions are:
How good is Pemba?
Where am I likely to see a whale shark / manta's at that time of year?

Ideally i would like to dive in warm water (24+) & im not the biggest fan of the smaller animals!

So please can someone help me, and tell me where I need to go to find the BEST african diving....

Thanks a lot :) :)

Have a great day!

shafan1234:
Hiya,

I am planning a two week trip probably to Africa in October/November of this year. I am looking for recommendations on where to dive... i am looking for the BEST OF THE BEST.. and ultimately i am not overly concerned of the country's security (i have dived in a semi war zone before).

At the moment my list is: Mozambique or Madasgcar.

And my other questions are:
How good is Pemba?
Where am I likely to see a whale shark / manta's at that time of year?

Ideally i would like to dive in warm water (24+) & im not the biggest fan of the smaller animals!

So please can someone help me, and tell me where I need to go to find the BEST african diving....

Thanks a lot :) :)

Have a great day!

Not sure on the exact season, but Mocambique is supposed to be really good for whalesharks and also mantas as well as other sharks. Have never been there though, so it's only hear say.

Pemba Island is not really a big fish destination, but it sits in the very deep Pemba channel so almost anyhing is of course possible. The main reason to come to Pemba as I see it, is the dramatic walls plunging into the abyss and the spieces diversity and amount of fish and coral. I was there this November and we had excellent diving and crystal clear waters. In one dive I could easily see the surface from 50 meters (150 ft). The information I had before going was very variable viz., but I found out that the secret to good diving on Pemba Island is to only dive on an incoming tide, when you get the clear, blue water from the Pemba Channel. It means diving is only good for roughly half the day. On an out going tide the water gets murky and the impressive scenarios are lost and the over all impression is rather dull. This changes, sometimes the morning is good and sometimes the afternoon. So unfortunatelly it means it is hard to get more than two good dives each day.
Pemba did suffer from the 98 El Nino as all other central and western Indian Ocean reefs, however there are big strethches of beatiful and healthy reef that seemed to escape the bleaching. Some areas have been dynamited in the past. It is now banned since about 10 years back, but used to be common practice in Tanzanian waters. Not as extensive around the islands as on the mainland coast though.

The best diving I have seen in Africa is the Sudanese Red Sea, which has everything. Allthough spieces diversity in Sudan regarding fish is of course not quite up to the standard of the area around Pemba, which is supposed to be among the best in the Indian Ocean.

good luck

/christian

I'm planning a trip to East Africa next year and was thinking of heading to Zanzibar for some diving. I really haven't done any research yet though but I'm looking forward to starting the process and hearing what others have to say.

Cheers

Great diving in Southern Mosambique and North Kwazulu Natal South Africa. I know we have a crime problem but this is no war zone! Not quite sure what you hear on the news over there but it sound bad. If you avoided the bad spots you are fine. I suppose it is like the Bronks in NY as the movies portray it. South Africa is great. Diving at Sodwana Bay is pretty further South on Protea Banks lots of sharks, Bull, Tiger and Raggies. If Staying in Mosambique see www.simplyscuba.co.za if in South Africa see www.coraldivers.co.za come you wont be disappointed

Nosy Bee is the best diving I ever have done when it comes to coral ((around Nosy Tanikelly)).

I was there in December, end of whale shark season, but we still managed to see one and between two dives we snorkeled with more mantas then I could count....

Maldives are the best I've dived for mantas
Sudan is the best I've dived for sharks (gray reef's, hammerheads)
Myanmar, good value for money, saw a bull last time, but not in October...
Seychelles, did my first tropical dives there, would love to go back...

Still haven't been to Mozambique, would love to go there. Supposed to be one of the best places in the world for whale sharks, November should be really good... If I go there I will combine it with some diving at Aliwal Shoal, South Africa.

Pemba, would love to go there to....

Hope this helps somehow...

Northern Mozambique is excellent - great viz, warm water, plenty to see - mantas, whalesharks, big pelagics etc. Otherwise, Pemba Island, or the Mafia Island Archipelago - designated a marine park so good conservation of the reefs etc. Have a look at www.elusiveafrica.com for info.

Hi,
I've been doing some surfing on the net for white shark dive operators in south africa and am amazed at the number of them. I need some advice as to who are the good ones, who are ones you need stay away from. Any personal experiences anyone?

Tromp,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to S. Africa this fall (September/October) for a week to 10 days. Both of us are very experienced divers and instructors and are looking for some great diving, especially for sharks. We don't necessarily want an operation that is going to hold our hands, but instead give great advice with a maximum of flexibility. Any recommendations? Also, where do you suggest staying? Is one of the safari tours worth it or is it better to stay in one location? Any advice would be appreciated. Thx.

OP, were you talking about Pemba, Mozambique, or Pemba, Tanzania? If Tanzania, then cf. #2 Christian.
#3 Scuba_Mike - Zanzibar is a great place and you should definetely go there, but not especially for the diving, which is much better in other places. Zanzibar, imo, is a great place for a holiday with some diving thrown in, but not for a diving holiday.

We were in the Tofo area of Mozambique late February, and saw a bunch of whale sharks and mantas.
Here are the links to my trip report and video

Although they have them around there year round, the best season for whale sharks is November-March

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom