Mombasa / Zanzibar in late August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozymandias_kok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We'll be doing the safari thing this year and as always I try to sneak a few dives onto the end of any trip where possible. I understand that there are better places for diving only, but my wife is more of a casual diver so we split the difference and I am looking for places where there's more to do and see.

Are either of these areas more recommended that time of year? I think both have other things to do, but I really don't know enough to decide one way or the other. What's the ease of getting to them and back out again? What's not to miss? I think we are looking at somewhere in the vicinity of 4-5 days of unwinding after the safari trail. Any ideas, comments or suggestions?

I work in the dive industry and have lived in Zanzibar for the past 3 years. June, July, August and September you can for get the diving. The water is rough and cold, with bad vis. The best timesto really enjoy these spots is in November (good time for whale sharks) and late Jan - March.

Well that sucks. I heard August was among the times to go and that it was busy then. How cold is the water then?

africa is unforgettable, no matter when you go...you will have a great trip...do a couple tanks...safari...see mombasa...tour the villages of the masaii & gidiama tribes..halley park...enjoy....africa is unforgettable

www.thegoodlifetv.com

Its not really cold compared to most places where you dive!!!!!!!
Id say its about 24 degrees celcius and most divers will be fine with a 3 mm suit.
Ocean can be a bit rough in july august so depending on tides and time of the day visibilty will change.
Im talking about Zanzibar but it will be similar conditions along the Kenyan coast.

JFK73:
Its not really cold compared to most places where you dive!!!!!!!
Id say its about 24 degrees celcius and most divers will be fine with a 3 mm suit.
Ocean can be a bit rough in july august so depending on tides and time of the day visibilty will change.
Im talking about Zanzibar but it will be similar conditions along the Kenyan coast.
I am going to be in Dar for business and was hoping to get in a day of diving. I understand from the messages above that it might not be the best time (this would be June 17/18). If I decide to go regardless of the weather, where should I stay and who should I dive with?

James Garbett:
I work in the dive industry and have lived in Zanzibar for the past 3 years. June, July, August and September you can for get the diving. The water is rough and cold, with bad vis. The best timesto really enjoy these spots is in November (good time for whale sharks) and late Jan - March.
If I am going to be in Dar in mid June and want to dive anyway who would you recommend as a dive operator and where should I stay?

Carol

In 2004 I was in Zanzibar around June; the diving was good as compared to diving conditions any day of the year around Palm Beach/Ft Lauderdale Area (US). Average viz ranged from 40 - 70ft and as someone pointed out, a 3mm will be good enough.

In Dar es Salaam, the conditions should be similar. There is a dive operation (Sea Breeze Marine) at the White Sands Hotel And Resort. Staying here could e convenient for arranging dive trips.

Just got back. We did a few dive days with One Ocean at our resort on Zanzibar. They had a pretty good operation. The water temps averaged about 26C and the visibility was quite good. We did all the diving at Mnemba Atoll. Quite a few turtles, a good number of random expected fish, and a couple of small reef sharks. Conditions were good overall, and even the day the Indian Ocean to our east was just black with clouds and rain the water wasn't hardly choppy, though the vis diminished towards the end of the first dive as we ascended into the rain, which was reasonably thick yet still seeming light and drizzly instead of heavy. The boat boys pretty much do all the work, setting up the equipment and essentially gearing you up. The boats are the speedboat / dive boat type configuration at 21-25 ft length or so, twin outboards. You WILL get wet and splashed on the way back, which is 20-25 minutes or so of a ride. :)

We started 8ish (leaving around 8:30) and were back both days 1PMish. They don't do afternoon dives because the seas kick up a bit. The tide was low when we got back both days so there was a 10 minute walk along the beach back to the dive center.

All in all, a good plus in the dive category, and a great antidote for being bumped around and dusted while on safari.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom