Mozambique in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
I am flying to Maputo in November. I thought about going to Tofo for diving with mantas and whalesharks.
which other great dive spots are there? Bazaruto?
Which guide book would you use for backpacking?
Thank you.
Liberty

I think Tofo is the best. Bazaruto is excellent as well-- but diving there is really expensive-- like $110 for two dives. But if you have the time and money it is well worth it. In Tofo (also g-r-e-a-t!) they will tell you the fish are bigger in tofo and everything is better in tofo. Not true, similar but different and both are worth doing, plus the islands in bazaruto are way cool. Don't dive Pemba, Moz. Enjoy!

For guide books I would get Bradts. The LP only has East Africa which is 2 years or more out of date when I went through 3 months ago and there is no stand alone guide.

Tofo is great for the big stuff but the reef is not the best . Also try Sylvias shoal at Morrungulo - I will try to get some links for you.

For a guide book try The Globetrotter book by Mike Slater - ISBN 1-84330-193-8.
Try to get the version with the fold out map.

Thank you for your replies.
I did some search about Morrungulo is more expensive and difficult to reach. Can you also see big stuff there?
As to Tofo, do you have to expect high waves and strong currents in November?
Thank you.
Liberty

You people are my idols. I look at the Mozambique conversations with awe.

The conditions in Tofo can vary - between 15m to 30m viz . We dived with Tofo SCUBA and rest assured they will not put you in the water in either a strong current or big swell. Manta reef has up to 20 Mantas at a time - you are practically guaranteed sightings. They will also let you swim with the Whale sharks on the way back from the various dive sites - we saw 5 on one trip, it is possible to see more . They also seem to occur all year round.

Yes , Morrungulo is difficult to reach. Here is the link I promised http://www.scubaclub.co.za/site/awdep.asp?dealer=6479&depnum=16387 - you will probably need to mail them. Sylvia's Shoal is 13 km long and in the open ocean - you can expect almost anything.

Gotta go - meeting friends for lunch to discuss a trip to Mozambique next year !!!!!!!
Possibly doing it by 4x4 so we get to see more land based stuff as opposed to flying.

hey liberty! november is a really cool month to come and dive in tofo - best chances for stable conditons - viz, winds, etc. (think, had the best dives there in november:))...
that said, conditions in tofo (viz, winds) can change fairly quickly and there is no predictable good/bad season there...
as far as morrungulo, don't know how much time you have in moz, but it really is quite difficult to get there if you're not driving and besides diving, there is really not much you can do...tofo is a little fishing village and does have more than one restaurant, little market and a few places to hang out, talk to people, etc...it's a little bit more alive:)
lucie

Hey, Lucie!
Well, I would just go to Morrungulo for diving, because it is more expensive than Tofo (and hard to find information!). Is it better than Tofo?

As to Tofo, should I bring seasickness pills?

Liberty

If you suffer from seasickness then yes , take the pills for anywhere in Moz.

Back
Top Bottom