Tofo scuba or Barra lodge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to Tofo beach in late May and are looking into diving / staying with either Tofo Scuba (and Casa Barry) or with Barra Dive Resort for 4 days. Any opinions on how they compare? We know is not the best time to go, but since we'll be in SA we decided to give a try anyways.

Also, we are driving from Maputo to Inhambane as the flight schedules don't coincide with our arrival time, any advice / updates on the condition of the road?

Thanks!

J.

I have dived with Tofo scuba and they were great. If you want AC in your room then you will probably have a better chance if you stay at Barra . They will both dive the same reefs - just make sure you get to Manta reef.

Did you go? I'm planning to go in november and are also trying to chose between the two. Any information regarding the two places are very welcome:

- Does any of the two dive centers have an edge over the other one for some reason, may it be location, equipment, attitude... Also, when reading on their web sites I get the the feeling they are pretty conservative. Do they keep visiting divers on a leash, no matter of experience? Can you get extra dives if you wish (making three a day).

- Is the quality of accomodations better in one or the other, more comfortable, better/nicer location? How about the food?

Cheers

Christian

Tofo scuba is the better dive centre by far , they will give you some latitude as to how you dive - but beware the currents can be pretty strong and they may try to keep your group together. Discuss what you want from the dives before you go.Time will probably not allow you to make 3 dives a day , the wind often comes up in the afternoon making diving impossible.

Can only vouch for the accomodation at Casa Barry - don't stay in the Casitas if you go there , take one of the cabins . Barra will offer A/C in your room , specify it before you book.

The road from Maputo to Inhambane was under construction in places in Nov 2004 , probably still is. Expect the 550 Km drive to take around 6-7 hours. Don't break the speed limits , wear a seat belt - the traffic police like to issue "spot fines" - AKA bribes.

AndyT:
Tofo scuba is the better dive centre by far , they will give you some latitude as to how you dive - but beware the currents can be pretty strong and they may try to keep your group together. Discuss what you want from the dives before you go.Time will probably not allow you to make 3 dives a day , the wind often comes up in the afternoon making diving impossible.

Can only vouch for the accomodation at Casa Barry - don't stay in the Casitas if you go there , take one of the cabins . Barra will offer A/C in your room , specify it before you book.

The road from Maputo to Inhambane was under construction in places in Nov 2004 , probably still is. Expect the 550 Km drive to take around 6-7 hours. Don't break the speed limits , wear a seat belt - the traffic police like to issue "spot fines" - AKA bribes.

Thank's Andy. What's up with the Casitas? I'm travelling with my girlfriend this trip, so standards of living needs to be a little bit higher - prepared to pay little extra for that. So the cabins are ok? We don't need luxury or AC, as long as it's clean, cosy and there's a breeze.

I got a suggested itinerary that involved flights from Johannesburg to Inhambane, so I guess we don't need to go from Maputo by car.

Also, when doing some more research, I find there are a few different places in the Inhambane area, like Guinjata Bay, Praia dos Cocos, Jangamo etc. It seems like the dives offered are more or less the same (at least everybody has manta reef on their lists) with a few alterations. Do you know if any of places has an edge over the others when it comes to accesss to the better dive sites/variation of dives? Are there any of the locations that have a more 'luxiourious' resort, in combination with a really good dive centre?

cheers

Christian

A casita is a small reed "cabin" with a couple of beds with mosquito nets and a table . It has it's own toilet & shower - that's it. Best described as a backpackers room.

The cabins at Cassa Barry have 2 or 3 bedrooms , a better bathroom , the rooms all have ceiling fans , there is a lounge & kitchen and a front porch / verandah. They are also close to the really nice beach . You can either make your own food or eat out .That's what I'll be staying in next time I go. We took a dinner bed and breakfast package , but that limited us to eating at the restaraunt at Cassa Barry . Not that it's bad but there are other places to eat in the area .

Barra Lodge is probably further away from the better dive sites ie. longer boat ride but it definitely has the best accomodation and probably food as well but I haven't been there yet . It comes well recomended from friends who have been there.

I see on the website the Casitas are called catered and the nicer cabins self catered.

Can't comment on Guinjata or Jangamo , but Guinjata also comes well recommended by friends who stayed there .

...just got a qoute from a travel agent. Seems like the cabins are a lot more expensive than the casitas. I guess they're aimed at groups of 3-4 people and not couples.

/christian

AndyT:
A casita is a small reed "cabin" with a couple of beds with mosquito nets and a table . It has it's own toilet & shower - that's it. Best described as a backpackers room.

The cabins at Cassa Barry have 2 or 3 bedrooms , a better bathroom , the rooms all have ceiling fans , there is a lounge & kitchen and a front porch / verandah. They are also close to the really nice beach . You can either make your own food or eat out .That's what I'll be staying in next time I go. We took a dinner bed and breakfast package , but that limited us to eating at the restaraunt at Cassa Barry . Not that it's bad but there are other places to eat in the area .

Barra Lodge is probably further away from the better dive sites ie. longer boat ride but it definitely has the best accomodation and probably food as well but I haven't been there yet . It comes well recomended from friends who have been there.

I see on the website the Casitas are called catered and the nicer cabins self catered.

Can't comment on Guinjata or Jangamo , but Guinjata also comes well recommended by friends who stayed there .

Dunno about the two diferent types , I don't recall seeing any brick ones , but then again I was there 2 years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom