Cape Town Diving Next Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all:

I'll be in Cape Town on business during the week after next. Week of the 27th. Any ideas about best diving? I've done a few shore dives there before but I'm looking for some boat action. I suppose that I'll have to bring my 7mm FJ with me from NJ. Can I survive in a 5mm at this time of year? I'll be staying in Sea Point but I have a car so I can drive anywhere.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am not a local, but your can read my trip report from my recent dives in CT here. You may not need to drag your wetsuit along with you, as Orca Industries has a good stock of wetsuits in good condition (some brand new) at R100 for the weekend. The link to their site is in my report. I had to use a two piece 7mm wetsuit and managed the dives well, but I do have some built-in thermal insulation... :)

I am sure some of the locals will drop in to give you some pointers. Drop AndyT a PM - he will definitely know what's happening with the conditions at the moment. The guys from False Bay Undersea Club are great, and I recommend that you contact them (capeofstorms_pierre is their Vice-Chairman).

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi

Water temp at this time of year is around 10 deg C - a 7mm will do if you don't plan to do more than 2 dives a day.

I usually dive with Blueflash charters - contact grant@blueflash.co.za to see if he is running charters during the week.If he can't help contact me via this board and I will get more info for you.There are a few charter operators that run in the week.

Diving in CT is wind dependant to a large degree - if it's blowing strongly from the SE it usually means diving the Atlantic (cold) side of the Cape Peninsula.

If you need more info please ask away.

ShoalDiverSA:
Hi,

I am not a local, but your can read my trip report from my recent dives in CT here. You may not need to drag your wetsuit along with you, as Orca Industries has a good stock of wetsuits in good condition (some brand new) at R100 for the weekend. The link to their site is in my report. I had to use a two piece 7mm wetsuit and managed the dives well, but I do have some built-in thermal insulation... :)

I am sure some of the locals will drop in to give you some pointers. Drop AndyT a PM - he will definitely know what's happening with the conditions at the moment. The guys from False Bay Undersea Club are great, and I recommend that you contact them (capeofstorms_pierre is their Vice-Chairman).

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks. Great dive report and pictures. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I'm a regular NJ diver so the water temp doesn't bother me as much as the thought of the great whites down there. I dived off a GWS boat in Gansbaai a few years ago and I swore that if the cage broke off, I'd rather drown than face those guys. They were big. The picture in my profile is a South African resident!

:sharkattack:

AndyT:
Hi

Water temp at this time of year is around 10 deg C - a 7mm will do if you don't plan to do more than 2 dives a day.

I usually dive with Blueflash charters - contact grant@blueflash.co.za to see if he is running charters during the week.If he can't help contact me via this board and I will get more info for you.There are a few charter operators that run in the week.

Diving in CT is wind dependant to a large degree - if it's blowing strongly from the SE it usually means diving the Atlantic (cold) side of the Cape Peninsula.

If you need more info please ask away.

Andrew, do they do rubberduck diving off the Atlantic too? Where do they launch? False Bay?

Tri, most of the divbing in the cape is done off RIB's. WIth you living in sea point it is close to Hout Bay where most of the charters launch from. Between Andrew and myself we can hook you up, You are also welcome to come to the dive club on a Wed night for an ale or 2.
see you soon

PS do u need any gear ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom