Best training school in Pretoria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poolstok

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all! :D

This is my first post here.

My name is Johan Bouwer, and I am a Virtual Reality Developer in PTA, SA. I am also a Photoshop trainer and photographer.

But enough about me now.

About 10 of us want to get into the whole fishy-thing, and I have been phoning around a bit, but I find it difficult to decide which school is the best to go to in the PTA region, or which accreditation to go with. I discobvered an article on how PADI reduces the course material to 2 days and how that is not cessesarily a good thing.

I am not sure if we can discuss diving schools in these forums, so if anybody could advise me on how to make an educated decision without on who to go with, I will appreciate it.

Apologies if this post is in the wrong forum....

Kind Regards

Johan

Johan

Most will tell you here that it is the instructor that makes the biggest difference, not the agency.

With 10 students you should get a very good deal from the shop / instructor.
However it is going to take longer to teach a class that big, extra pool time etc.

First decide where are you going to do most of your diving.
Pretoria is a long way from the sea.
Are you happy doing lake diving or is this going to be vacation diving only?
Is it worth taking a weeks holiday on the coast near Durban or Capetown and learning in the sea.
You can always do the theory and pool sessions in Pretoria and do open water dives in the sea.

From my time in SA I think I would recommend doing all the training locally and save your holiday time for when you are qualified.

If you are happy lake diving then there must be enough dams (Hartebeespoort etc) to keep you diving all year around.
Speak to all the shops and ask to meet the instructors.
If possible ask to watch a pool session and / or a clasroom session.
Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Do NOT buy gear to early, yes a mask and fins are a good buy.
Do not be pushed into buying BC, Regs, Computer, etc until you have decided you want to continue diving. Then come back and ask for recomendations, try them out in pools, dams etc.

This is a fantastic sport and it opens up the most beautiful world to you the diver.

Victor

Hi Vic.

Thanx for the feedback. There is a place near Brits by the name of Miracle Waters - aparently its an old sink-hole with some car wrecks in it, so at least we have an inland place....

We are thinking of doing our qualifying dive in Mocambique or some place of sorts.

Kind Regards

Pool

Poolstok:
Hi Vic.

Thanx for the feedback. There is a place near Brits by the name of Miracle Waters - aparently its an old sink-hole with some car wrecks in it, so at least we have an inland place....

We are thinking of doing our qualifying dive in Mocambique or some place of sorts.

Kind Regards

Pool

I have read about some good diving in mozambique, however I don't know anyone personally who has done it.
Remember if you have 10 of you then you have a lot of leaverage with the dive shop and instructors.
I would push for a testing session where you can try a variety of BC's, regs, fins, masks etc, before you purchase any kit.
If possible complete you qualification dives locally that way you don't waste any time on vacation.
If you block book your vacations together you should get 10 for the price of 9. A 10% discount not to be refused.
I was hoping to go to Zanzibar to dive however I think the cost are too high so I might have to give it a miss. Definitly coming back to Africa in the next few years.

Hi Guys.

Thanx for the feedback once again.

Just one thing - somebody told me that they did their Qual inland, and was disapointed when they eventually went into the ocean, as it was waaay different and moer rough and a bit disorientating. Obviously this has to do with how rough the sea is, but does this carry any water otherwise?

Later

Pool

Hi Poolstok

Firstly, welcome to ScubaBoard.

The primary goal for most divers (in South Africa at least) is to enjoy the wonders of the sea. Unfortunately, the sea can be unpredictable at the best of times. Therefore, some people have very rough introductions to diving in the ocean (I did!).

I recommend that you do not have your Open Water sea dives at Aliwal Shoal/Umkomaas, but rather opt for dives at Sodwana Bay or Mozambique (Ponta do Ouro or Ponta Malongane). Aliwal Shoal can really be tough on divers on their OW course that are still trying to get used to their gear, build their skills and become comfortable underwater. (Don't get me wrong, though - Aliwal can rock too!)

However, wherever you decide to have your sea dives, make sure you do them!!! I really don't believe in the model of completing OW courses inland and then assuming that this is sufficient training to carry out sea dives without further instruction. There is a great Letter to the Editor in this month's Divestyle magazine that really summarises the issues well, if you are interested. You will learn in your course that you are only certified for the environment and conditions that you are trained in. So make sure that you clock up some time in the sea during your training if you ultimately want to dive in the sea.

I suggest you contact Dive Addiction. They are based in Jhb, but I am sure that they will be able to make a plan for a large group. The owner, Rowan, is a fantastic people person and he will definitely go the extra mile to make sure you get the best training.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi I agree with Andrew about doing sum of ur dives in the sea as it is totally different to the Inland water ,Ie currents and motion of the ocean. if u get the Divestyle mag u can generally find a dive centre close to you.

u only get bad instructors not bad agencies, Ican recommend a CMAs training gency as they are more thorugh in there courses, take alittle more time with the basics, and u will never forget them.

We welcome to the most fun u will have in a rubber wet suit ,,, hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom