Seeking giant kelp forest footage from southern Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am working on an educational video series on kelp forest ecology targeted for the SoCal regional cable market. This series focuses on the communities that live in the giant kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) forests of our waters.

For one of the episodes, I want to use comparison footage from other regions which have M. pyrifera forests including southern Africa, southern Australia and South America. My budget is insufficient at this time to allow the extended travel necessary to gather sufficient footage from each of these regions.

I'm looking for competent videographers in these areas who may already have compiled footage from their kelp forests that depict the common species and ecological interactions found there. I'm willing to offer trade-outs on footage from SoCal to those videographers willing to help, and any footage used would be credited.

My primary interest in doing this is to advance knowledge about kelp forests for the general public in the hopes of furthering conservation of them. I look forward to hearing from others willing to consider this proposal.

Don't have any myself and don't know any vidiots around here but I will make enquiries. Unfortunately all of my stuff is stills - my avatar was taken in one of our kelp forests.

Thanks, Andrew... appreciate it.

Pierre... I certainly like that option! Flying to CT from here ain't as easy as it looks (and not near cheap enough for a starving marine biologist). However, I will try.

Back
Top Bottom