mozambique pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. I'm headed to Aliwal (South Africa) next week... your pictures make it hard to wait!

Those are some really great pics. I'll be heading to Moz around Feb/March next year. Will be my first trip there.

@ziongyal: Welcome, in advance. Who knows, you might even see out little dive group underwater. :)

Great pics Christian. Hope you had a good time. I would like to hear your impressions on Moz. and the resort in general. How about a mini trip report ?

Which camere were you using ?

It looks like I'm going back there in April / May next year- hope we get good viz like you had, last time it really sucked.

Thank's guys. First time I used this rig and was very pleased. I'm using a Nikon D200 in a hugyfot housing with dual Inon Z240:s. All pictures shot with the 10.5 fisheye. The whaleshark was shot with ISO 100 at 1/125 f8-11, I believe. Whale shark side shot was from about 1 metre and the head shot from 50 centimetres (yes, it's a helluva wide lens) with strobes set to 5.6 according to the very-hard-to-understand Inon-system, think it's about 1/5-1/4 power, out/under and back of the camera to light just a little tiny bit from underneath.

The 10.5 is also the reason the water look so clear. In fact it was rather murky most of the time, as one can expect in filter feeder waters. A real pain for backscatter, even when shooting in natural light!!! Viz was however good (for the place) on a couple of dives to the more far out sites @ circa 20 metres. The norm was 10-14 metres.

All in all trip was good. We did not see as many mantas as we had hoped to. Made three dives on manta reef and had mantas on one. Without the mantas it is just an ordinary dive inmo. With mantas it's spectacular. There were mantas sighted on a few other reefs as well, but not by us. According to the divecentre (Tofo) there had been a draft recently, after a big storm. We saw whalesharks many times on our way to and from the divesites. Skipper stopped the boat and everybody got in to snorkel in a hurry. We had one good encounter where the shark stayed for a few minutes. On other occations the shark just swam away or dived. Not an ideal layout for me as a photographer with a relatively heavy and andvanced rig that need some preparation... I believe it would be better to go on a dedicated snorkel safari and only bring camera in housing without the strobes and shoot natural light. Never saw whalesharks on scuba. Saw white tip reef sharks on a few dives, once a zebra (leopard) shark, a huge turtle, a couple of big stingrays, too many moray eels and lobsters. Plenty of schooling goatfish, fusliliers, snappers, grunts... No predatory fish like barracuda or jacks in bigger schools... Coral very sparse and not very developed, as expected from a place this far south and with generally comparatively low viz. I found the deep dive sites to be a LOT better than the shallow ones dived in the afternoon. To be honest, the close shallow ones were quite a disappointment and frankly, not really worth it.
The dive site that stood out was Amazon 8besides manta reef with mantas). Lots and lots of fish.
The better dives are normally quite far away and it means a lot of logistics and travelling time, so double tank trips are nessecary to get more than one 'good' dive a day.

We dived with Tofo Scuba, which seems to be a well run operation. As far as I could see boats and equipment were in order. But the groups were too big with 8-10 divers+staff of at least two. Also too much herding around, even when conditions were easy and the group were consisted of experienced guests only. It appears like they are mostly used to back packers and casual divers and haven't really adapted to more demanding, well travelled and experienced divers. I chatted with some other divers, a CMAS instructor from France and a two Belgian guys who were PADI instructors, and there seemed to be a consensus that it was 'too' safety oriented, (treating everyone more or less like fresh OW divers) that it actually spoiled some of the fun. Dives where normally cut short, most dives I surfaced with half of my tank left and usually had to start the ascent with 5-6 minutes of bottom time left. I'd say it is all understandable from a DC point of view, but a bit frustrating for me as a guest.

Tofo Scuba has moved and are no longer on the Casa Barry premises. They are now on the other side of the beach, next to Dinos. If we had known we might have tried to find accomodation closer to the dive centre, or chosen another dive centre. It wasn't a big problem as Tofo did pick us up every morning and drove us back to Casa Barrys each afternoon, but a bit inconvenient. Especially having to haul a heavy camera rig fort and back.

Casa Barry was ok. First we stayed in a 'brick casita' in the back of the 'compound'. The room was clean and very much ok, but it was very uncosy. Far from a tropical 'paradise'. In fact it was next to a saw mill. After a few days we changed to a 'chalet' facing the beach. This was completely different. It was very nice in every aspect. The price is about three-four times more expensive than a casita, but the chalet is originally intended for a family or a group of four and not a couple.
The restaurant was good. In a week you do run out of dishes, but there are more restaurants in Tofo so you can alternate. I really enjoed the prawns. The sushi chef was never there when we wanted the sushi, so i'd be interested in a report on that.
The restaurant kitchen didn't open until 7.30 in the morning, so we weren't able to get a proper breakfast before going out on a double tank dive in the morning (normally pick up at 7) - a 3-4 hour affair. They managed to arrange a few slices of white bread, some very bad cheese and butter, that of course was floating in the morning, for us to keep in the room. Some mornings we were also able to get some bananas on the market. Casa Barry needs to rethink this if they want to keep their diving guests that are not self catering. Especially now when they don't have the geographical advantage of being close to Tofo Scuba.

So in short, if you want to dive with mantas and snorkle with whale sharks, this is a good place (even though we were a bit unlucky with the mantas). The reefs are not that spectacular. Diversity of fish is only ok, but quantity is very good. There are very little sharks of other spieces than mentioned to be seen in this area, for that go to S.A. Try to find a dive centre that will focus on small groups, it's worth paying extra for. Go to the 'far' sites.

cheers

Christian

Christian

Thanks for the very honest trip report . I wasn't aware that Tofo Scuba had moved , maybe I will rethink accomodation for my trip. I will also do the self catering option - we also got tired of the menu at Cassa Barry last time we were there.

Funny that you didn't see lots of Mantas - someone was just saying to me yesterday that they had been in short supply on the reefs up there. The rumor according to this person was that they had been fished out by the locals !!!!

I think that the DM's there are over cautious because of the lack of a recompression chamber and decent hospital facilities nearby. I usually travel with a group of divers and find that we generally get a bit more leeway when it comes to being herded around - you just need to state your case when you get there, but travelling as you did doesn't give you that option.

The tip on going on an dedicated snorkel safari is a good one - that's exactly what I plan to do on my upcoming trip. Pity I only have a 20mm wide angle lens available, not a 10.2 like you have.

Next year I plan to go to Morrungulo for a few days , then to Tofo for a week or so, down to Sodwana Bay for a while then on to Aliwal Shoal / Protea Banks - a 4 week trip in all.

wow...you must have been close to have shot that with the 10.5.

very cool shots.

Hi again

Did you find any decent accomodation closer to Dinos that is worth looking at ? I didn't really look last time I was there . It's not that critical as I will be driving up in my 4x4 but it would be nice to have other options.

Also were you offered Nitrox ?

AndyT:
Christian

Thanks for the very honest trip report . I wasn't aware that Tofo Scuba had moved , maybe I will rethink accomodation for my trip. I will also do the self catering option - we also got tired of the menu at Cassa Barry last time we were there.

Funny that you didn't see lots of Mantas - someone was just saying to me yesterday that they had been in short supply on the reefs up there. The rumor according to this person was that they had been fished out by the locals !!!!

I think that the DM's there are over cautious because of the lack of a recompression chamber and decent hospital facilities nearby. I usually travel with a group of divers and find that we generally get a bit more leeway when it comes to being herded around - you just need to state your case when you get there, but travelling as you did doesn't give you that option.

The tip on going on an dedicated snorkel safari is a good one - that's exactly what I plan to do on my upcoming trip. Pity I only have a 20mm wide angle lens available, not a 10.2 like you have.

Next year I plan to go to Morrungulo for a few days , then to Tofo for a week or so, down to Sodwana Bay for a while then on to Aliwal Shoal / Protea Banks - a 4 week trip in all.

Hi Andy

Don't think they are fished out. The manta girl, Andrea Marshall wasn't there during our visit, but I did discuss quite a lot with Simon Pierce who's running the whale shark program and there doesn't seem to be any continous fishing for mantas or whalesharks (at least not yet!) in the area (and when you see their boats you understand that it would just be impossible for them to land such big animals...). But there was a draught. And as I wrote in a prior mail, the groups of divers going to Manta Reef are big. And there are three dive centers in Tofo alone, then one in Barra, then one or two further south... Perhaps they are getting disturbed and go out to sea when the diveboats arrive? I think everyone would benefit from a cooperation schedule, so that not all centers send boats out there every day at the same time.
Another interesting thing is that a white shark was spotted on Manta Reef a couple of weeks prior to our visit. It was also spotted a few days later by Simon on a snorkel safari at the surface off Tofinho (he showed me pictures). They did not snorkel with it :) A fellow researcher from Mossel bay identified her as a shark they call 'Rasta' and she was pregnant. Perhaps the manta move out of the area when a white shark roams there? As everyone can see, most of the Moz-mantas have big chunks taken out of them - which is a unique feature - so they should be vary of big sharks.

Whatever the reason is for the overly catious approach, I think it would serve them to be a bit more flexible and adaptable to the groups experience and to the conditions. I have dived far more isolated and demanding places and never experienced being on such a short leash. As I said, it's understandable, but it's a bit irritating for me as a guest, especially cutting the dives short.

Your trip sounds great! I would really want to do Protea Banks for the sharks.

cheers

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom